QUICK NEWS

{NEW} - A new css video is up.

{OLD} - New video courtesy of Skhilled, Thanks for posting it up.

Video of the moment:

Internal Links

SMF Sites

Quick Info

When you first got access to the internet

Started by [chrisB], Jan 31, 2023, 12:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skhilled

Quote from: LandyVlad on Feb 12, 2023, 08:11 AMhaha yeah tucows! memories.

While I can recall first of various computers etc I can't actually remember when I first got 'online' aka "internet"  But I do recall IRC being pretty heavily used. :)

slaps /user with a herring

But speaking of old days on the internet I just found (and threw out)and early instruction book for 'Dreamweaver'. I used to use that to get a bit fancier from self-coded html and after haviogn decided that MD frontpage was shite  :ys   

I used to love IRC. Here's a few old books I still have and have others too..

https://photos.app.goo.gl/YnFgaRnYgK7Kov8q9

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Nj3kJpZs9kntbMov5

Dave

I can remember writing stuff in Basic for the Spectrum 48K. I used to write programs for my sons to help them with their maths
If you want play quizzes or games click below

lurkalot

Quote from: Skhilled on Feb 01, 2023, 07:18 PMI was pissed off when Netscape died. :( I thought it was the best browser ever...back then. LOL

Me too.  :rgton

Skhilled

Quote from: Dave on Feb 16, 2023, 06:21 AMI can remember writing stuff in Basic for the Spectrum 48K. I used to write programs for my sons to help them with there maths
I remember doing the same with Basic at first then DOS and Machine Language. Then I used to play with dBase quite a bit. LOL

LandyVlad

My first home computer was an Apple ][+ (although dad had brought older ones from work for brief periods), and the school computers were mostly TRS-80s .
Having said that the school did also have a card computer which was still in use.
Anyone remember doing exams using those cards and you had to fill in the circle with a pencil as to your multiple choice answer?
Please do not PM me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

Skhilled

I remember the TSR-80's. A friend of mine got one for his kid I used to help him with it. :)

I vaguely remember doing exams on those cards once or twice but then there were complaints about them for some reason that I don't remember and they stopped doing it. I do remember that you had to use a number 2 pencil or it wouldn't work right? I think they were easier because it gave you the answer...you just had to pick the right one instead of remembering it. LOL

Bigguy

"It's the American dream....cause ya have to be asleep to believe it." - George Carlin

Skhilled

I also had a Compaq once but forget what model it was, although I remember liking it. :)

lesmond

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe

Skhilled

I remember those but couldn't afford it at the time and got the TI99/4A.

lesmond

Quote from: Skhilled on Feb 26, 2023, 02:00 PMI remember those but couldn't afford it at the time and got the TI99/4A.
I think it was about £200!!

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe

Skhilled

Neša

Quote from: lesmond on Feb 26, 2023, 02:04 PMI think it was about £200!!

Wow $2,000 as of 2022 with inflation (the RBA calculator wont do 2023) was it a powerful system? I've spent 1.8K on a PC last year and I have a medium range system.

Skhilled

Yes, PC are higher cause of the graphics card issues. :( Too many people bought them up for crypto mining and drove the prices way up. >:(

LandyVlad

Quote from: Neša on Feb 27, 2023, 10:00 PMwas it a powerful system?

It was epic - had an astounding 5 kilobytes of RAM (but before you get too impressed, only 3.8 KB was accessible in BASIC).
No it wasn't top end, it was pitched to the mass market home user - an affordable games-biased computer.
And interestingly the first computer to sell more than 1 million units.

If you're interested in more detail:

https://www.howtogeek.com/724683/the-first-pc-to-sell-millions-commodore-vic-20-turns-40/

https://www.atarimagazines.com/compute/issue11/12_1_THE_COMMODORE_VIC-20_A_FIRST_LOOK.php
Please do not PM me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.