QUICK NEWS

{NEW} - A new css video is up.

{OLD} - New video courtesy of Skhilled, Thanks for posting it up.

Video of the moment:

Internal Links

SMF Sites

Quick Info

Change 'Home' on menu bar

Started by LandyVlad, Feb 27, 2019, 10:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LandyVlad

Is there any way to change the word 'Home' on the LHS of the Menu Bar to, say, 'News' AND have a different icon for it?

Anyone have any examples of same?

(I'd like to do this for my drone forum as it's a more relevant description of what I plan on using the front page for)

Please do not PM me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

Bigguy

You should be able to change the name in the index.english.php file I would think and search for the main_icons home image if there is one and rename a new image with that name and upload and overwrite the old image. (I think)
"It's the American dream....cause ya have to be asleep to believe it." - George Carlin

Bigguy

main_icons_sprite.png is the name of the image that has the home icon. You will need a way to put a new image in that sprite in order to change it.
"It's the American dream....cause ya have to be asleep to believe it." - George Carlin

LandyVlad

Ah well I have bugger all idea how to do that !
Please do not PM me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

Bigguy

Maybe @lesmond  will be able to help with that. All it really takes is a new image and a graphics program. Erase one and put the other in it's place. ;)

LandyVlad

You make it SOUND easy.... but I'll bet it isn't.

LandyVlad

Maybe this sort of image but as the word hoem will be changed to News, probably don't need the word news on the icon.  Would make it clearer too.

lesmond

To change the "home" menu name
find in /Themes/default/languages/index.english.php

$txt['home'] = 'Home';
Change too
$txt['home'] = 'News';
Then replace the attached image, in /Themes/Drone/images/icons/main_icons_sprite.png

This is how it will look..
You cannot view this attachment.

I have added a second image for you to try..

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe

LandyVlad

They look good.  Shame the 2nd one isn't the colour of the first one.  Ah well can't have everything :)

Thanks for the info !

LandyVlad

Quote from: lesmond on Feb 28, 2019, 06:25 AMTo change the "home" menu name
find in /Themes/default/languages/index.english.php

$txt['home'] = 'Home';
Change too
$txt['home'] = 'News';

OK well here's a follow up question before I do that...

This is what's in that file

$txt['message_index'] = 'Message Index';
$txt['news'] = 'News';
$txt['home'] = 'Home';
$txt['page'] = 'Page';
$txt['prev'] = 'Previous page';
$txt['next'] = 'Next page';

You'll notice that before the 'home' there's already a 'news'
I didn;t put it there.

What's that for / refer too. What gives? (shrugs)

I just had a thought. That'd be the OTHER type of news (eg news fader etc) ?

lesmond

I saw the other $txt['news'] = 'News'; not sure what that ones for, maybe the news fader for the top?

Quote from: LandyVlad on Feb 28, 2019, 07:08 AMThey look good.  Shame the 2nd one isn't the colour of the first one
I just found some copyright free icons to use, and the first one is the newspaper image you posted above.

LandyVlad

with the sprites - choosing the second one. When I look at it above I can see it right.
But when I download it to my computer I get:

and if I upload that to the server and refresh I still get the original home symnbol.

edit: Umm it looks right when reposted here too! Just not on my computer.  Odd. Totally weirdness

lesmond

Try clearing your cache and it will show, did for me :)

LandyVlad

as in Shift F5? No go.

Google chrome settings - clear cache? No go.

Like I say - weirdness.

Anyway I'm off to bed, its 11pm here.... ! Cheers mate.

SychO

You should know that there is a much easier way of changing the icon of a menu item
just by adding this to any menu item in Subs.php, and the image should be uploaded to /images of the current or default theme
'icon' => 'yourfile.png',