QUICK NEWS

{NEW} - A new css video is up.

{OLD} - New video courtesy of Skhilled, Thanks for posting it up.

Video of the moment:

Internal Links

SMF Sites

Quick Info

Brand new build

Started by Bigguy, Dec 07, 2023, 08:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skhilled

I'm don't want to spend too much money on it but have always got what I need while looking to the future to see what's coming down the road. In this way, I am always able to upgrade at a later date and will hopefully keep it running a lot longer. ;) My current one is 6-8 years old and still running great!  ;D  It's just that good things won't last forever.  :rflmao

Bigguy

I've had computers I have built that last about that long. (4-5 years) I was heavily into building for a long time. I wish I never got out of it tbh. It did feel nice buildin this one though.
"It's the American dream....cause ya have to be asleep to believe it." - George Carlin

Dave

A fair few years ago now I bought an all singing all dancing PC from  our local Aldi store after getting it home I found that I couldn't install my Imation 120MB floppy drive into it. So I went straight down to my local computer store and bought a new tower and within 1 hour of buying the new PC I had stripped it and had it in bits on the table and started installing the motherboard etc into the new tower.

I was then able to add the 120MB drive into it and was off.

I, like both of you, have always been fascinated with the tech and used to mess around adding bits here and there.

My present set up, bought in 2021 is:

Device        Dell XPS 8940
Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-10400 CPU @ 2.90GHz  2.90 GHz
Installed RAM    32.0 GB (31.7 GB usable)
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Edition    Windows 11 Pro
Version    23H2

All in the tower
NVMe CT1000P5SSD8 1TB
Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB
Samsung SSD 870 QVO 2TB

I also have 4 Synology NAS drives

1 to store all my music (using 2 x Samsung 4TB SSD drives not on RAID) my website is backed up daily via Webdav on this drive
1 to store photos and all other personal stuff ( 2 x Seagate 4TB platter drives on RAID = 4TB)
1 to act as backup for the music drive (2 x Toshiba 6TB platter drives on RAID = 6TB)
1 to store all my wife's photography photos (she has he own business) ( 2 x Seagate 2TB platters on RAID)

In case you're wondering my music collection is more than 2.67TB and it's growing all the time.

The reason for the drives in the tower is because every now and then, I try to remember to do it monthly, I clone my current 'C' drive onto the 'Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB' then if for any reason the current drive fails all I have to do is swap the drives over and all I've lost is 1 month of stuff.

I'm a great believer in backups  ;D
If you want play quizzes or games click below

Bigguy

That's a pretty nice system. I was running a DELL before this. They're not a bad system really. As for backups.....I should do more of them. I don't know why I stopped. I used to do them all the time but for some reason along the line I just stopped.....weird, lol.
"It's the American dream....cause ya have to be asleep to believe it." - George Carlin