QUICK NEWS

{NEW} - A new css video is up.

{OLD} - New video courtesy of Skhilled, Thanks for posting it up.

Video of the moment:

Internal Links

SMF Sites

Quick Info

Notepad

Started by Bigguy, Apr 02, 2019, 10:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigguy

Did anyone know that if you open notpad in windows 10 and at the very top in capitals type .LOG it will save with a time stamp. Try it out.

• Open notepad
  • On the top line type .LOG
  • hit enter to move one line down
  • type something
  • Now save that file as whatever you want and close it
  • Open it back up and there should be a timestamp next to or underneath what you typed.

I thought this was real cool. Nice way of keeping track of things. Use it as a log file or a diary...or edits you made to SMF ;)

You cannot view this attachment.
"It's the American dream....cause ya have to be asleep to believe it." - George Carlin

LandyVlad

Presumably though it just replaces that value each time you save it. As opposed to creating a list of things with various days added...
Please do not PM me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

Bigguy

No, it adds it in a list. One on top of each other. With different timestamps.
"It's the American dream....cause ya have to be asleep to believe it." - George Carlin

LandyVlad

Oh look it actually works correctly

Quote from: undefined.LOG

This is a test saving at 9:22am
9:22 AM 3/04/2019

Ok and this is another test/ This time I am saving at 9:23am
9:23 AM 3/04/2019

Yes very handy !
Please do not PM me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

Bigguy

It works good, I think. I made a test txt and added something to it hours ago. Just now I went in to add another test to the txt file and it changed the time stamp on the first one for some reason. I am running a beta windows copy so that could be it I guess. A small bug in the program.

LandyVlad

Did you add text after the previous timestamp or did you modify the existing text?

Bigguy

Added after. I added a bit today as well. Seems a little odd.

LandyVlad

So do date stamps stay correct? It's just time stamps tha6t are problematic?

LandyVlad

Maybe rather than using log (which I admit is convenient) the work around would be to just insert the current date and time 'manually' on each occasion

To insert the current date and time just Click on "Edit" and select Time / Date

Bigguy

I never realized this til now but if you open the text file you have saved as a log it prints the current date and time for you. All you have to do it typ what you want and save. I guess the time stamps are right.

LandyVlad

Yes that's what it does - I assumed you knew that :)

Bigguy

No, I just found it, lol. You know as much as I do.

LandyVlad

Skhilled