QUICK NEWS

{NEW} - A new css video is up.

{OLD} - New video courtesy of Skhilled, Thanks for posting it up.

Video of the moment:

Internal Links

SMF Sites

Quick Info

Question?

Started by Ronald, Feb 07, 2023, 10:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ronald

Quote from: Neša on Feb 12, 2023, 07:35 PMRonald You have another year it is EOL in 2024, Cpanel will stop supporting it in the next release. You will still get security patches from centos.

I expect better service from them, you pay a huge fee to use the control panel and they tell you to use an experimental script to upgrade your server.
Since you are running a VM, are you able to do a snapshot? You can test the upgrade by setting SMF into to maintenance mode. Run a snapshot of the server, run the script test that it went well. If you have issues roll back to the snapshot think of another upgrade approach.

I just seen the 2024. Thanks. As for the Snapshot, way out of my league, I had success upgrading the cPanel and I think I was lucky doing that.

I don't work well in these places, beyond my knowledge, and besides it makes me very nervous even looking around the WHM.

Ronald

Quote from: Skhilled on Feb 13, 2023, 09:24 PMBut it's a choice if you want to use Redhat or AlmaLinux. It's the user's choice. At least there are multiple options. ;)

I feel that AlamaLinux would be the best. I may attempt to do this myself, have to chance it later or sooner.

Skhilled

Just remember to backup the server fist so you can restore it if there are any problems. ;)

Ronald

Quote from: Skhilled on Feb 18, 2023, 12:14 AMJust remember to backup the server fist so you can restore it if there are any problems. ;)

I was just in the WHM looking for the backup, can you explain a littl how it's done.

Skhilled

As Nesa said, a Snapshot would be your best option as it backs up the entire VPS and can be easily restored. That is a hosting option outside of WHM and will back EVERYTHING up on your VPS. I can't tell you how to do it because I can't see it.

The WHM backup will backup everything in WHM and WHM itself. I'd suggest doing the Snapshot, if you have it as it will save EVERYTHING and will not take up space on your VPS.

EDIT: I should've said, since you are changing your OS that a snapshot will also backup your current OS. WHM backups will not...

Ronald

Quote from: Skhilled on Feb 18, 2023, 08:08 PMAs Nesa said, a Snapshot would be your best option as it backs up the entire VPS and can be easily restored. That is a hosting option outside of WHM and will back EVERYTHING up on your VPS. I can't tell you how to do it because I can't see it.

The WHM backup will backup everything in WHM and WHM itself. I'd suggest doing the Snapshot, if you have it as it will save EVERYTHING and will not take up space on your VPS.

EDIT: I should've said, since you are changing your OS that a snapshot will also backup your current OS. WHM backups will not...

Did some browsing, and find out I can run a Snapshot from my Customer Control Panel.
Is this the way it is done? I have never run this program before, so don't know what to expect.
Do I have a choice as to where to save this or is it saved in the files?

Sorry to bug you guys with so many questions, but I am not use to doing anything like this.

Neša

Quote from: Ronald on Feb 20, 2023, 09:58 AMDid some browsing, and find out I can run a Snapshot from my Customer Control Panel.
Is this the way it is done? I have never run this program before, so don't know what to expect.
Do I have a choice as to where to save this or is it saved in the files?

Sorry to bug you guys with so many questions, but I am not use to doing anything like this.
Hi Ronald,
You don't get a choice where it is saved, it is configured by your host it is most likely saved on a SAN/NAS that the physical computer that is hosting your VPS has access to.
All you need to do is press the button, you should check if they charge extra for holding the backup. Linode charges me $10 per month extra for their snapshot backup service.
Once you press the button it can take some time to complete the snapshot it depends on the size of your VPS.

It will be a point in time backup so I suggest you put the forum into maintenance mode it should stop anyone posting while it is running the snapshot and after that you can try the upgrade  :)

Neša

Quote from: Skhilled on Feb 13, 2023, 09:24 PMBut it's a choice if you want to use Redhat or AlmaLinux. It's the user's choice. At least there are multiple options. ;)
I didn't mean to say that Redhat was better I wouldn't use it unless I was a massive IT company and needed someone to blame for a P1 SLA failure. Centos/rocky linux is as stable, I was just saying that they have an in place upgrade but the free projects couldn't get it to work because red hat made it hard to figure out.

Skhilled

@Ronald,You're not bugging us and this IS a help forum. LOL

@Nesa, I agree.

Bigguy

Quote from: Ronald on Feb 20, 2023, 09:58 AMSorry to bug you guys with so many questions,
Like @Skhilled says, your not bugging anyone. This is a place to ask questions. ;)
"It's the American dream....cause ya have to be asleep to believe it." - George Carlin

Neša

@Ronald I just did the elevated upgrade on a fresh centos 7.9 server. It took about 40 min and had 3 failures I had to fix, if you can I would do a clean OS install instead of an upgrade.

I think you'll have less issues with it, downtime might be more but the risk will be lower, you should still do a snapshot in case the clean install messes up something it's always a good idea to backup.
You have your second vps do you have enough space to transfer the forum to it? You could do a server to server transfer, install the new OS then move it back the total downtime with DNS propagation will probably be 3 - 4 days max.