QUICK NEWS

{NEW} - A new css video is up.

{OLD} - New video courtesy of Skhilled, Thanks for posting it up.

Video of the moment:

Internal Links

SMF Sites

Quick Info

SMF 2.1 Security / Anti-Spam

Started by LandyVlad, Jul 13, 2021, 12:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LandyVlad

Generally, I'm wondering if there have been any changes in 2.1 (as opposed to 2.0.17 or 18) which as part of core make the forum more secure?

Specifically on my forum (currently 2.0.17) I am running these security mods:
Stop Spammer   v 2.3.9
httpBL   v 2.5.1

Stop Spammer was last updated February 25, 2021 (so recently). There's no evidence of a 2.1 version, at least as yet.

httpBL was last updated March 1 2020 (so >1 year ago). Again no indication of any 2.1 version.

Are there any recommendations as to:
1. Whether security mods are required with 2.1, and if so
2. Which security mods are recommended for 2.1?

Ta.

@Bigguy What security measures for anti-spam do you use on this forum?
Please do not PM me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

Bigguy

All I use is what comes with SMF and we battle spam here every day. I have to look into other options I think.
"It's the American dream....cause ya have to be asleep to believe it." - George Carlin

Neša

You can use the csf firewall it has stopspamform as well as other lists built in. They will be blocked at the server level. You can also block countries, the price is that your ram will be used to store all the blocked ip addresses.

Skhilled

I always install csf on my servers. It works great.

LandyVlad

Quote from: Neša on Jul 13, 2021, 07:27 AMhe price is that your ram will be used to store all the blocked ip addresses.

How much RAM? Surely not anything significant?
Please do not PM me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

Neša

It depends what you block, if you block a few countries it can. I have three block lists on my server stopforum spam, dshield and honeypot. csf is using 30mb of ram for them, if I also block Russia and China it jumps to 100mb. This is without any temp IPs being banned and a cold start, I think that CSF and LDF will use a bit more with the other tasks they perform.

200 - 512MB might be nothing if your VPS is 8GB (mine is). If you run a small VPS with only 2GB - 4GB of RAM it might be.
If you have 2GB that would be 9% of your total RAM.

LandyVlad

Ta. I don't really understand how RAM comes into it with server stuff.