QUICK NEWS

{NEW} - A new css video is up.

{OLD} - New video courtesy of Skhilled, Thanks for posting it up.

Video of the moment:

Internal Links

SMF Sites

Quick Info

FTP - Filezilla - Tar

Started by Ronald, Aug 10, 2019, 03:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ronald

Back some time ago, I was using Filezilla, getting to the Tar file, I accidentally with a slip of the hand dropped the Tar File into the Modules File.. How do I get the Tar back where it belongs..

I was using a wireless mouse which was touchy to begin with. But it's gone now..

Skhilled

You need to be more specific. I assume you were doing this on your server but what tar file and what's a "Modules file"?

Ronald

I'll see if I can explain with images;

1.You cannot view this attachment.

2. You cannot view this attachment.

3. You cannot view this attachment.

Is there any chance you can put the tar.php back into the place it belongs between images & modules. If so I'll send you my information.. Unless there is another way of doing it..

I was thinking of removing the Filezilla from the computer, doing a restart and installing it new, but maybe I'll end up with the same thing..

What do you suggest..

Skhilled

First, Tar.php is a file and will not go between folders. It should show where all of the other files are within a folder.

The 2nd image that have you shows the /public_html/arcade folder. But it doesn't specifically state what folder Tar.php should be in. I assume that you mean the it should be in the /images or /Modules folder but you are not specific about which one.

However, Filezilla is not the problem and you do not need to delete it. Grab the Tar.php file with the cursor and drag it to the left side of the screen in Filezilla. It will put it in a folder on your PC...whichever one is showing on the left. On the right side of Filezilla, navigate to the folder you wish to put Tar.php in and select it so it shows the files within it.

Then drag Tar.php from the left side to the right side panel in Filezilla and it will put it in the correct panel. Just make sure the correct folder is open on the right side first! You can then delete the copies of Tar.php that are in the wrong folders.

Ronald

Quote from: Skhilled on Aug 10, 2019, 07:09 PMFirst, Tar.php is a file and will not go between folders. It should show where all of the other files are within a folder.

The 2nd image that have you shows the /public_html/arcade folder. But it doesn't specifically state what folder Tar.php should be in. I assume that you mean the it should be in the /images or /Modules folder but you are not specific about which one.

However, Filezilla is not the problem and you do not need to delete it. Grab the Tar.php file with the cursor and drag it to the left side of the screen in Filezilla. It will put it in a folder on your PC...whichever one is showing on the left. On the right side of Filezilla, navigate to the folder you wish to put Tar.php in and select it so it shows the files within it.

Then drag Tar.php from the left side to the right side panel in Filezilla and it will put it in the correct panel. Just make sure the correct folder is open on the right side first! You can then delete the copies of Tar.php that are in the wrong folders.

I remember I use to click on arcade and enter and then tar.php would show..

Skhilled

Ok, so you want it in the /arcade folder. Then you need to drag it there. But on the right side you need to click the /arcade folder to open in first.

lurkalot

Or as a second option, if you're not happy with dragging things around with a dodgy mouse, but want to achieve the exact same result.

Open the folder in the right panel containing the file you want to move. Right click on the file and click download.  This will download it to your PC in a place you have open in the left panel.

Then open the folder in the right panel where you want the file to go. Right click the file in the left panel, and click upload.

Once it's in the right place you can delete the one in the wrong place. Right click on it, and click delete.

What ever you do, just be careful in there. ;)

Ronald

Quote from: lurkalot on Aug 11, 2019, 09:07 AMOr as a second option, if you're not happy with dragging things around with a dodgy mouse, but want to achieve the exact same result.

Open the folder in the right panel containing the file you want to move. Right click on the file and click download.  This will download it to your PC in a place you have open in the left panel.

Then open the folder in the right panel where you want the file to go. Right click the file in the left panel, and click upload.

Once it's in the right place you can delete the one in the wrong place. Right click on it, and click delete.

What ever you do, just be careful in there. ;)

That is my problem, I slid it to the desktop, slid it over an into Arcade, found it again in Modules, removed it again, by now maybe 6 times trying to move it and get it to stay. I ended up losing it entirely.

Good thing I had a saved one on the desktop, slid it back in and it still wants to sit in Modules.

Another thing I did was remove the Filezilla and all it's trails. Did clear the cache, and rebooted, installed Filezilla from a fresh download, opened it up and guess what, tar.php is sitting in Modules, so much for clearing the cache..and a fresh install.

Skhilled

Sounds like you may have lost ownership of that folder or file. Why don't you try to delete it in cPanel's File Manger, if available.

EDIT: If that is so and you are on a VPS then you can use the following tutorial to change folder and file permissions as well as ownership:

https://client.buildzhosting.com/index.php?rp=/knowledgebase/44/How-To-Change-File-and-Directory-Permissions.html

Ronald

Quote from: Skhilled on Aug 12, 2019, 07:47 AMSounds like you may have lost ownership of that folder or file. Why don't you try to delete it in cPanel's File Manger, if available.

EDIT: If that is so and you are on a VPS then you can use the following tutorial to change folder and file permissions as well as ownership:

https://client.buildzhosting.com/index.php?rp=/knowledgebase/44/How-To-Change-File-and-Directory-Permissions.html

Yes I am on a VPS, I read the article completely, Makes me nervous trying to do this..When your not use to doing these thing it's touchy even trying, for fear of wiping something out..

The Tar is 777

Skhilled

Ok, but what you have not told me is the permission for the /Modules folder as well. Also, are files supposed to be 777 and what about folders?

If either of them (or both) do not have the correct permission(s) the select it so it is highlighted and right-click. You'll see a popup and at the bottom of it is "File permissions...". Click that.

You should be able to see what to do with that. If you wish to make sure that all folders or files under that current folder have the same permissions then choose the appropriate option and it should change them all.

Now... If you have ownership problems, where you've lost ownership of the folder or file you may not be able to anything to the file such as copy, move, delete, etc. It then belongs to "nobody" which is a user in linux which means that no one owns it nor controls it. This seems to be the problem you are having.

You can look in Filezilla to see if you've lost ownership, which happens once in a awhile on some servers. See the image below. The left red arrow shows the permissions column. Make sure that the tar file and the /Modules folder have the correct permissions.

The right arrows shows ownership of the files and folders. They should all be the same as in the image below. The only exceptions to this are folders and files above /public_html. If they are not you will need to correct them using the commands in the tutorial to regain ownership and do as you please with them.

You cannot view this attachment.

Ronald

Not sure if the permissions are 777 or 755 your thoughts on this, I believe I changed them to 777 so they could be incorrect..

I don't seem to have any ownership problems, I can add games or remove games, I can add or remove mod.'s, I can add images to the files and see them in the forum.

If I didn't have ownership, what would I not be able to do..??

I also added 3 images for you to see the permissions.

1. public_html: You cannot view this attachment.

2. modules: You cannot view this attachment.

3. tar: You cannot view this attachment.

Skhilled

In the first image which shows /public_html and it's subdirectories the folders are 755. The other images which are subdirectories of the /public_html subdirectories are set to 777. Try changing the directories to 755 and make sure the files in those directories are 644. They should all be one or the other. My guess would be 755.

You do not appear to have ownership issues from the images you've just shown me.

Ronald

Quote from: Skhilled on Aug 14, 2019, 06:01 AMIn the first image which shows /public_html and it's subdirectories the folders are 755. The other images which are subdirectories of the /public_html subdirectories are set to 777. Try changing the directories to 755 and make sure the files in those directories are 644. They should all be one or the other. My guess would be 755.

You do not appear to have ownership issues from the images you've just shown me.

Did what you said..changed the permissions.

Bigguy

"It's the American dream....cause ya have to be asleep to believe it." - George Carlin

Ronald

Quote from: Bigguy on Aug 15, 2019, 09:31 PMDid it help. ??

Nope! In fact it caused problems for me installing games, The permissions are wrong for installation of games, had to change the permissions back.

Skhilled

Ok, so that means the folders should be 777 instead of 755 for all folders. You also want to make the change in smf (if you are using smf and not something else) in the File Permissions of Package Manager so when you install something through SMF it should change it automatically to the correct setting.

Ronald

Quote from: Skhilled on Aug 17, 2019, 08:08 AMOk, so that means the folders should be 777 instead of 755 for all folders. You also want to make the change in smf (if you are using smf and not something else) in the File Permissions of Package Manager so when you install something through SMF it should change it automatically to the correct setting.

No I'm using IPB 3.4 I with  ibProArcade 5.3.0 arcade on a VPS Host server. Had to get Legionaire to come in a straighten things out..

Bigguy

"It's the American dream....cause ya have to be asleep to believe it." - George Carlin

Ronald

Quote from: Bigguy on Aug 17, 2019, 11:36 AMSo what was wrong ??

I changed the permissions per Steve, threw the entire Arcade into a heavel couldn't load games or even repair them..

Skhilled

He meant what was originally wrong and how was it fixed.

Ronald

All taken care of now.. Everything in the Arcade is set at 777