QUICK NEWS

{NEW} - A new css video is up.

{OLD} - New video courtesy of Skhilled, Thanks for posting it up.

Video of the moment:

Internal Links

SMF Sites

Quick Info

PHP 7.3 Upgrade

Started by Skhilled, Aug 17, 2019, 08:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skhilled

I've set the server for my site to PHP 7.3 and so far, it works! My site (docskillz.com) uses SMF 2.0.15 and it's not supposed to support it! If you experience any problems please let me know. If I find no problems, I'll start upgrading the other sites on the server too.

Remember, you can always change your own PHP version in your cPanel, if needed. After the change, it will take a minute or two to complete. During that time you may see "Service Unavailable" on your site until it completes. Then all should be good! ;)

Skhilled

Ok, found out something. I've been noticing errors on my site related to the arcade for awhile now but thought it just needed updating. But there's more to it than that...

The errors state that the "create_function ()" is depreciated. After a search on Google it seems that it should be changed to "function ()". Now for the bad news...LOL There's tons of "create_function ()" in many files in many places through out SMF 2.0.15! They would all need to be changed but there's no telling what would happened if you did that. Not to mention the same for the mods and themes...

I've changed it back for now. Maybe I'll play around with it on a test site and see what happens. ;)

From what I can see it does not affect SMF 2.1 at this time.

Bigguy

vbgamer has a mod to make php 7.3 compatible with 2.0.15. I'm pretty sure anyway.
"It's the American dream....cause ya have to be asleep to believe it." - George Carlin

Skhilled

I haven't checked for any mods for it. I didn't think anyone would make one for this. But one thing is for sure...php 7.3 is much faster!

Bigguy

I'm positive he was talkin about one he made not to long ago. It's probably on his site.
"It's the American dream....cause ya have to be asleep to believe it." - George Carlin

Skhilled

I couldn't find it on his site but did find this for 2.1 which sounds very interesting!

https://www.smfhacks.com/index.php/topic,9793.msg42950.html#msg42950

Bigguy

Skhilled

Ah! I remember that now. Chen Zhen was creating it but I didn't know he was doing it with vbgamer. Btw, Chen's site seems to be down, atm.

Bigguy

Quote from: Skhilled on Aug 19, 2019, 08:32 AMBtw, Chen's site seems to be down, atm
Been down all morning for me. Not sure what's up. :dontknow

lurkalot

Quote from: Skhilled on Aug 19, 2019, 08:32 AMBtw, Chen's site seems to be down, atm.

Quote from: Bigguy on Aug 19, 2019, 08:39 AMBeen down all morning for me. Not sure what's up. :dontknow

I see the Simple Portal site is down too.  Are they both on the same server or something?

Bigguy

Very possible they are....

lesmond

Quote from: lurkalot on Aug 19, 2019, 01:31 PMI see the Simple Portal site is down too.  Are they both on the same server or something?

Yes I think chen runs them both.

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe

Bigguy

I'm sure he'll be back. He did say he ha dr/l shit to do. :2cts

Bigguy

I have installed php 7.1 to 7.3. Nothing above 7.1 will run any of these sites I have on this server. All I get is database connection issues.

Skhilled

Yes, you'll get that but wait a minute or two then refresh your browser and it should work. You'll get a ton of errors in your logs for 2.0.x. but not sure about 2.1 cause I haven't tested it with those yet.