QUICK NEWS

{NEW} - A new css video is up.

{OLD} - New video courtesy of Skhilled, Thanks for posting it up.

Video of the moment:

Internal Links

SMF Sites

Quick Info

What to do with mods when upgrading between versions.

Started by LandyVlad, Feb 11, 2019, 06:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LandyVlad

My brain is mush today....

With mods in general (and things like TP, SMF gallery, etc in particular) when an SMF version upgrade is needed the advice is generally to uninstall the mods, and then reinstall after the upgrade, correct?

When unistalling should the delete option also be selected, or can they just be left there ready to reinstall?

Assuming one doesn't tick the delete files option when uninstalling - on reinstall is all content, data, and settings retained?
Please do not PM me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

live627

Mushy brain? Just look at an anatomy poster and you'll see why! Who made that mess! ;D

When upgrading between release candidates, you overwrite the files. You run the upgrader. Boring, routine stuff.

I don't know if the upgrader removes integration hooks. In fact, I don't even know if it clears the package log. I guess this is stuff I should really know. But I'm getting burnt out on all this garbage again so bleh.

So I'm not 100% on this sort of thing. My best guess is that you should uninstall all mods first. There is a checkbox entitled "Remove all data associated with this mod". Leave it empty. Don't need to delete any files.

Skhilled

Live627 is right. Because of the many code changes your mods may or may not work when you upgrade your forum. So, instead of screwing it up you should remove the mods and themes first.

Alternately, you can make an exact duplicate test site that has the mods and themes installed and upgrade it to see which ones will or will not work before going along with the actual upgrade.

Bigguy

When I upgrade and I am uninstalling mods. I do so even if the mod errors out. If I am uploading a fresh set of files and overwriting the existing ones anyway, most errors from mods can be ignored when uninstalling them to upgrade your SMF. It has always worked for me.
"It's the American dream....cause ya have to be asleep to believe it." - George Carlin

LandyVlad

a follow up question.

Once a mod is uninstalled (and let's say that the files have been kept, ie check box NOT ticked)..

Is the 'delete' in the package manager only deleting the install package? It doesn't actually effect any of the mod data, is that correct?
Please do not PM me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

SychO

LandyVlad