QUICK NEWS

{NEW} - A new css video is up.

{OLD} - New video courtesy of Skhilled, Thanks for posting it up.

Video of the moment:

Internal Links

SMF Sites

Quick Info

AHem, lesmond, wanna play again?

Started by LandyVlad, May 12, 2019, 08:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LandyVlad

The drone site is pretty much doing nothing but I think I've found a niche which will do better.

I've begun setting up the forum and it's time to think about making it attractive to catch the eye of potential users.  It is a comic book forum after all.

https://commandocomics.org

I want to make a background image using pages from inside comic books (ie black and white) like this
You cannot view this attachment.
maybe with several pages overlapping

I'll have a crack at that if you are able to tell me what pixel size (w x h) is best, and what file format you'd want it in.

I also have some logos / graphics to use / adapt / be inspired by for colours and headings.

I was hoping that my old mate ;) @lesmond might be tempted to help me develop a theme for it ?

Whaddayareckon les?
Please do not PM me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

LandyVlad

and these

The dagger is the iconic part of the logo as you can see.
Please do not PM me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

LandyVlad

as you can see at their OFFICIAL site the titles do come in various colours. 
https://www.commandocomics.com/category/collection/
other colours are often white, yellow or blue.

lesmond

Are you talking about a theme? would have to be careful with copyright stuff, also you MAY have a problem using the domain name, even though you have used the .org

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe

LandyVlad

Theme yes.

I'm not too worried about the domain. They use com so I avoided
. Com. Au

In case they do object though I have registered an alternative more generic name as a fall back.
Similarly if they object to any graphics etc but ultimately this would drive sales up for them certainly not lose any.
Plus I'll offer them to publish news in there for free if they want.

I'll also be making it clear in the footer or somewhere notable that the site is not affiliated with the publisher of Commando comics.

So that's on me.

lesmond

A little something for you here https://host-for.com/smf2/index.php the header image changes on each page load.

Bigguy

"It's the American dream....cause ya have to be asleep to believe it." - George Carlin

lesmond

Quote from: Bigguy on May 13, 2019, 03:58 PMHey, lookin good. :)
Thanks..

I read that wrong, though it said "Hey good Looking"  :rflmao

Bigguy

"It's the American dream....cause ya have to be asleep to believe it." - George Carlin

LandyVlad

@lesmond  Hey good lookin! That's looking good.  :D  :P

Some issues with the header image stretching (proportions) and I;d liek some different colours BUT that's a really impressive idea. 

Background looks really cool. You've done a great job matching the font in the title. Is it possible to make it "Commando Comics Forum" (as opposed to just Commando Comics ?

I'll need to find some other images for the header they all need to be primarily ww2 related (some ww1 ok).

But thanks HEAPS for the work so far mate.

@Bigguy did you ever hget that 'board images' mod thging happening?

lesmond

Quote from: LandyVlad on May 14, 2019, 02:36 AMSome issues with the header image stretching (proportions) and I;d liek some different colours BUT that's a really impressive idea

I just put a few images in there to show how it looks, you can add any images you like in there, but they must be around 1200X200px, there is a folder in the theme directory called header, just add and remove the images there, and they will be picked up automatic.

Quote from: LandyVlad on May 14, 2019, 02:36 AMYou've done a great job matching the font in the title. Is it possible to make it "Commando Comics Forum" (as opposed to just Commando Comics ?
I used a font called "Batman forever" I tried not to copy the exact font used on commando site, I have also changed the logo name.

Bigguy

Quote from: LandyVlad on May 14, 2019, 02:36 AM@Bigguy did you ever hget that 'board images' mod thging happening?
Not yet but am trying to find time to work on it.

LandyVlad

@lesmond Great thanks mate. I didn't even realise about the font, no wonder it looked so 'matched' LOL

I'll give some thought to colours and individual board icons.

LandyVlad

Still figuring out what font colours etc i want, but no hurry I guess.

Also working on what to do with boardicons.

It's really great otherwise. I really like it.

I reckon this would be a great base for a theme for my bike forum too, when I EVENTUALLY get around to upgrading that (on 2.1 Final so a while yet), as I have a number of banners etc already.

lesmond

Font colours are restricted to what you can use, if you change one colour it changes others