QUICK NEWS

{NEW} - A new css video is up.

{OLD} - New video courtesy of Skhilled, Thanks for posting it up.

Video of the moment:

Internal Links

SMF Sites

Quick Info

SMF 2.1 RC2

Started by Ronald, Mar 30, 2019, 01:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ronald

OK so I upgraded from SMF 2.0.15 to SMF 2.1 RC1, now I would like to upgrade to the newest version out SMF 2.1 RC2, now what is the procedure, step by step, if you can..

I still have old mod.'s from 2.0.15 but not installed, they show errors when trying, so they are just sitting there.

I also have some mod.'s for 2.1 installed, not many maybe 4 at most..

Ron.

QuoteGeoff can you please move this to the proper location..

Bigguy

Moved. The steps are the same really.

• do a backup
  • uninstall mods
  • save any files that had custom edits
  • Upload the upgrade package
  • Run the upgrade.php

That should be all you need to do.
"It's the American dream....cause ya have to be asleep to believe it." - George Carlin

Ronald

Thanks.

But I don't think I'll be upgrading now until the final release is out..

I had another board I had all set up for a family forum, not yet released. I decide to upgrade it to RC2, nothing but an F_ing mess, errors galore, it got to a point I couldn't even remove the errors, I'd get a error report trying to remove errors. I ended up I had to deleted the entire forum and it was a holly mess trying to reinstall a new board, nothing but more errors and more errors, I ended up deleting the entire database and making a new database and installed the RC2 board, this one took and is ok, now I have to set it all up over again..

My backups are all in Canada and I am in America.. They were correct in saying do not use this forum on a live board, but I never learn.. I still have my regular seniors board, and it runs good, so it will not be upgraded until the final release comes out either..Live and learn I guess..

Bigguy

I'm sorry to hear you had all those problems. You should of had none at all tbh. Did you leave mods installed. ?
"It's the American dream....cause ya have to be asleep to believe it." - George Carlin

Ronald

Quote from: Bigguy on Apr 02, 2019, 12:44 PMI'm sorry to hear you had all those problems. You should of had none at all tbh. Did you leave mods installed. ?

Nope removed them all, but jumped the gun and started the upgrade, without doing a backup.. There won't be anymore upgrades for me..They just don't seem to go very well, dam good thing you were around the night I tried to upgrade mt seniors forum, if you hadn't took over, it would be gone also..I just can seem to get any upgrades to work like they work for others that never have a problem, of course I don't know anything about correcting error codes either..

Bigguy

Well, again, sorry. Next time post up and we'll help ya out. No problems. ;)

Skhilled

For things like this it's always best to try it out on a test site so you can see what problems you'll be facing and not screw up your live site.

LandyVlad

Then again "No guts, no glory" ROFL
Please do not PM me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

Skhilled

Been there myself. ;)

Oldiesmann

This is why I typically upgrade late at night (after midnight Eastern time) - if something breaks, nobody's going to be online to care :P

The seniors forum I run is a bit trickier though because they've got members from all over the place (including at least one from Israel) so it's not always as easy to do it when nobody's online.
Christian Metal Fans - https://www.christianmetal.fans

Ronald

Quote from: Oldiesmann on Apr 11, 2019, 10:28 PMThis is why I typically upgrade late at night (after midnight Eastern time) - if something breaks, nobody's going to be online to care :P

The seniors forum I run is a bit trickier though because they've got members from all over the place (including at least one from Israel) so it's not always as easy to do it when nobody's online.

I also have a seniors forum, and have members from the UK, Canada, America, and a few foreign countries.

When I attempted to change over to RC1 I lost it, and dam good thing bigguy was on, because he saved my ass and the forum..Geoff took over and got the forum back and converted it to RC1.

Ronald

Quote from: Skhilled on Apr 10, 2019, 09:47 PMFor things like this it's always best to try it out on a test site so you can see what problems you'll be facing and not screw up your live site.

Steve on a fresh install of RC1, and then do a upgrade to RC2 works great, nothing in there yet.

But on a live forum with members and threads, and mod.'s installed, it seems to be a lot different upgrading. Well probably not for the more experience guy's like you, but me well I open the bag of chips and the entire bag rips, spilling the chips, the forum works the same way for me.

Skhilled

Remember the day we spent almost a day together on my chat and I showed you how to make an exact duplicate of your forum for a test site? That is what you do then upgrade it. If you have any problems then you can take as much time as you need to figure out how to fix it before doing the same to your live site.

And always backup your live site first...no mater what you may be doing just in case you hit the wrong button or something like I've done and deleted my entire site! LOL

Ronald

Quote from: Skhilled on Apr 12, 2019, 09:43 AMRemember the day we spent almost a day together on my chat and I showed you how to make an exact duplicate of your forum for a test site? That is what you do then upgrade it. If you have any problems then you can take as much time as you need to figure out how to fix it before doing the same to your live site.

And always backup your live site first...no mater what you may be doing just in case you hit the wrong button or something like I've done and deleted my entire site! LOL

I do a backup every Friday, or before I do anything major..

Yea I remember doing that, but forgot more than I learned..

I have never restored a backup, have no clue to how its done.. I am as dumb as an ox when it come to doing work in the cPanel, the FTP, I know something about the FTP took ma a long time to learn to trust myself with it..But I still get lost..

Skhilled

When you go into the backup section of cpanel you'll see restore where you can restore previously saved backups.