QUICK NEWS

{NEW} - A new css video is up.

{OLD} - New video courtesy of Skhilled, Thanks for posting it up.

Video of the moment:

Internal Links

SMF Sites

Quick Info

2..0.18 upgrade errors - help?

Started by LandyVlad, Feb 01, 2021, 06:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LandyVlad

Trying to upgrade from 2.0.17 to 2.0.18.

The download files and install thing was available but when I went to do the actual install itself I got a number of errors:

I haven't had errors doing a forum upgrade previously, and I haven;t added any mods since the .16 to .17 upgrade.

The errors I am getting are:

Installations actions for "SMF 2.0.18 Update"
Installing this package will perform the following actions:
Type   Action   Description
*   13.   Execute Modification   ./Sources/ManageAttachments.php   Test failed
*   33.   Execute Modification   ./Sources/Profile-Modify.php   Test failed
*   43.   Execute Modification   ./Sources/Subs-Graphics.php   Test failed

I'm wondering if anyone can give me some advice as to where to start in getting this resolved?

Thanks
Please do not PM me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

Skhilled

You didn't post exactly what the code was that is involved with those errors. But, off-hand I'd say it's due to mods. May be best to uninstall them first, upload the new smf 2.0.18 upgrade files, run upgrade.php and then reinstall the mods ONLY if they are compatible with it.

LandyVlad

As in uninstall all mods and then upgrade and then reinstall?

An issue I'd experience there is that I get errors when attempting to remove quite a few of the mods. :(
Please do not PM me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

Skhilled

Yes and no worries. 8)

When you upload all of the files from the smf upgrade pack it will give you all new smf files...as if you don't have any mods installed. The good thing is that it will not uninstall the hooks from the previous mods. So, when you reinstall them you will not lose any of your previous mod's settings or info. ;)

Ronald

Shortly after the release of 2.0.18 there were numerous support postings about errors when attempting to update using the patch.

I also have about 8 errors, mine are different, mine are in register.php and subs-editor.php

Skhilled

When you say using the patch, do you mean using the upgrade in the admin? Or do you mean using the large upgrade patch found here?

https://download.simplemachines.org/

If using the admin patch there has always been issues with that for MANY years but the team refuses to acknowledge them. It is always best to use the large upgrade package...unless there's a problem with that.

Ronald

Quote from: Skhilled on Feb 04, 2021, 10:31 AMWhen you say using the patch, do you mean using the upgrade in the admin? Or do you mean using the large upgrade patch found here?

https://download.simplemachines.org/

If using the admin patch there has always been issues with that for MANY years but the team refuses to acknowledge them. It is always best to use the large upgrade package...unless there's a problem with that.

Yes after we finished doing the Beta Testing, they decided to release 2.0.18. Yes the patch is what I am referring to. Yes there also is a large upgrade available also.. This patch is a huge piece of updating.

I had a beta test board, the patch worked great, I also did my smf arcade site, used the patch and no problems at all, went right in.

Then I decided to use the patch on the senior forum, ooooopsss lots of errors, so I went to smf support reported it and we tried to figure it out, then all others started to post there errors when updating with the patch..

Haven't done anything as yet, probably remove all the mod.'s first then try. But again a lot of the mod.'s are outdated, and probably will not go back in..

Skhilled

Yes, that's the problem. They either refuse to fix the problem or don't know how...or, they need to tell mod dev's how to make it work with it. The problem is with the mods and the coding, I believe. Forums that don't have mods or have mods that behave nicely work just fine. But those that interact with the database and, particularly the version of SMf and the db, have problems.

SMF has always said, "There's no db changes so there's no need to fix anything." But if there's a problem, then fix the damn thing (if possible) and cut back on support if anything else...

I've always believed the problem is with the db version numbers. The mods specifically look for a version and if they don't find it you'll see a error. Please keep in mind I'm no real coder but that's what I've found to be the problem over the MANY years this has been happening. I've helped countless people fix this problem but telling them to never use the admin patch unless you have no mods. If you have mods then you must uninstall the mods first (doesn't matter if there are errors) then upload the large upgrade SMF package and run upgrade.php. Then install your mods, IF they are compatible with the new version.

Ronald

Quote from: Ronald on Feb 04, 2021, 11:09 AMYes after we finished doing the Beta Testing, they decided to release 2.0.18. Yes the patch is what I am referring to. Yes there also is a large upgrade available also.. This patch is a huge piece of updating.

I had a beta test board, the patch worked great, I also did my smf arcade site, used the patch and no problems at all, went right in.

Then I decided to use the patch on the senior forum, ooooopsss lots of errors, so I went to smf support reported it and we tried to figure it out, then all others started to post there errors when updating with the patch..

Haven't done anything as yet, probably remove all the mod.'s first then try. But again a lot of the mod.'s are outdated, and probably will not go back in..

I agree, but again I know nothing about coding, but I do say the guy's doing that work, do, do a excellent job..

Now a question for you: Have to made an attempt to update your forum yet? Try the patch first see what you get..

shawnb61

Yes, all the conflicts are with out of date mods.

I have two live forums, one with 19 mods, one with about 12.  The patch installed without errors on both.

Your odds are much better if you keep your mods current.  About once or twice a year, I check mod versions and upgrade mods where needed.  I usually have to do a few.

About 5 of the mods we use won't install clean as of 2.0.16.  These were all discussed on the mod boards. They are still outstanding issues.

Not much we can do other than post in the mod boards when there are mod conflicts...

Loading fresh source and reinstalling mods works if you get tangled up. I had to do that once. 

I never edit source code directly for my forums anymore.  Ever.  I build little patches for every tweak.  Much easier to maintain.  Before installing 2.0.18, I deinstalled several little 2.0.16 bug patches (eg, for the utf8 fix)...  And 2.0.18 then went right in. 

Same is true for those mods with 2.0.16 conflicts.  I fixed the packages.  I shouldn't have to do that, though - the mod authors need to do that.

Ronald

Quote from: shawnb61 on Feb 04, 2021, 02:44 PMSame is true for those mods with 2.0.16 conflicts.  I fixed the packages.  I shouldn't have to do that, though - the mod authors need to do that.

Yea good luck with this happening. Some modder's do there work, then abandon the mod, or leave smf..some are taking to long to update them..It's a darn shame the way this is..Why make a mod if you do not intend to keep it in date.

Ronald

Sorry LandyVlad for "hi jacking" your posting.  :chrs

shawnb61

Quote from: LandyVlad on Feb 02, 2021, 06:27 PMAs in uninstall all mods and then upgrade and then reinstall?

An issue I'd experience there is that I get errors when attempting to remove quite a few of the mods. :(

Note you don't have to actually uninstall all & run the upgrader.  The steps would be:
 - Refresh the source via the upgrade package.  Now your source is all vanilla.  If you have the upgrade*.* files in your forum root, just delete them (your forum didn't need an upgrade, just fresh source).
 - Remove any hooks via repair_settings.php. Now you have no trace of old mods anywhere.
 - Re-install your mods.

If any mods don't install clean then post on the mod forum. Folks are helping there, and the mod authors really need to know the extent of the problem.

If the mod author appears to be uninterested, I'd consider abandoning it.  Otherwise, you will be stuck doing some coding on your own every time a patch comes out...

LandyVlad

Ta Shawn

Will taking that action as described delete all the settings for the mods? As I really want to keep those (for example, threads which have a thread prefix using that mod, I want to keep the prefixes there, etc)

Also when you say install mods do you mean that I'd also have to install the previous interim upgrade packages?

At the moment I have the installed interim packages showing in my package manager from 2.0.12 onwards.

shawnb61

Quote from: LandyVlad on Feb 05, 2021, 12:52 AMWill taking that action as described delete all the settings for the mods? As I really want to keep those (for example, threads which have a thread prefix using that mod, I want to keep the prefixes there, etc)
Nope.  You are overwriting the source code only, not the DB where settings are stored.

If you are jumping several versions on a mod, & there are mod-related DB changes, you will need to adapt accordingly... 

Quote from: LandyVlad on Feb 05, 2021, 12:52 AMAlso when you say install mods do you mean that I'd also have to install the previous interim upgrade packages?

At the moment I have the installed interim packages showing in my package manager from 2.0.12 onwards.
No, you lose all that & don't need it, because you're starting from the version in the upgrade package.  I.e., if starting from 2.0.18, you don't need to apply packages from 2.0.14->2.0.15, 2.0.15->2.0.16, etc., etc.  You start all over at 2.0.18.

If your theme installs didn't mess with core source code, you may not have to touch them at all.  I actually severely broke my personal forum experimenting with early 2.0.18 packages and had to do this today bringing it up to 2.0.18 from the upgrade package...  I didn't have to touch my theme at all, which I find surprising.  (It's 99% hidden, mainly for sharing jams with friends - but feel free to download the covid data I update periodically: https://shawnbulen.com).

There's a writeup on the SMF wiki:
https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/How_to_upload_a_fresh_set_of_files

I strongly recommend BACKUPS, BACKUPS, BACKUPS first...

If you can test drive it on a test forum do so a few times until you're comfortable.