QUICK NEWS

{NEW} - A new css video is up.

{OLD} - New video courtesy of Skhilled, Thanks for posting it up.

Video of the moment:

Internal Links

SMF Sites

Quick Info

Just got this email "TinyPic is shutting down"

Started by lesmond, Aug 16, 2019, 12:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lesmond

I will add this is not my site tinypix.co.uk
QuoteTinyPic is shutting down in 2019
TinyPic is shutting down its image hosting service because we can no longer support a free service that derives 100% of its revenue from ever declining on-site ad revenues.
While you may continue to host images from our site until further notice, we encourage you to consider selecting one of the premium plans offered by our sister site, Photobucket.
Thanks for using TinyPic for your hosting needs over the years. We apologize that we can no longer continue providing this service, but Photobucket is a great option going forward.

Looks like they are trying to force people to use Photobucket paid service @ $7.99/month!!

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe

Bigguy

Photobucket used to be free back in the day when it started.
"It's the American dream....cause ya have to be asleep to believe it." - George Carlin

lurkalot

LandyVlad

Please do not PM me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

LandyVlad

I also encourage forum users to either upload to the gallery or attach any images relevant to forum discussions etc.
Please do not PM me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

LandyVlad

I posted this on a number of other forums - feel free to C&P

Well, for all those Photobucket refugees who left when Photobucket pulled free hosting (yes that big debacle) and moved to TinyPic. Bad news. TinyPic is closing. Naturally as they are owned by photobucket they want you to buy a premium photobucket plan as an alternative. Surpise surprise. Pissbucket's cheapest plan is USD $7.99 per month

[quote]TinyPic is shutting down in 2019

TinyPic is shutting down its image hosting service because we can no longer support a free service that derives 100% of its revenue from ever declining on-site ad revenues.

While you may continue to host images from our site until further notice, we encourage you to consider selecting one of the premium plans offered by our sister site, Photobucket.

Thanks for using TinyPic for your hosting needs over the years. We apologize that we can no longer continue providing this service, but Photobucket is a great option going forward.[/quote]

THIS is why I encourage people to always use the free gallery provided here on the forum (best option), or attach images to posts, for any photos/information related to forum content. That way quality information / photos aren't lost when these sites go down.

An option for the tech-savvy (but not for average joe) is self-hosting - see http://landyvlad.net/wp/photobucket-can-kiss-my-arse/

lesmond

Has some of you know I run an image hosting site, Tiny Pix... Free Image Hosting and Sharing For which I also have SMF mod but only runs on 2.0.15

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe

Bigguy

I don't use image hosting. I don't think I have for years now.
"It's the American dream....cause ya have to be asleep to believe it." - George Carlin

Skhilled

I've used Coppermine of and on for years. Since my grandson has been born I've been thinking of starting a gallery for all of the pics my daughter keeps sending me so relatives can just go there and see and download them if they wish.

I've played with Piwigo long ago but it wasn't as good back then. It does appear to be much better now.

Landyvlad, your comics section is very funny! LOL

lurkalot

Quote from: Skhilled on Aug 26, 2019, 09:04 AMI've used Coppermine of and on for years.

Steve. The new 1.6 series Coppermine is much easier to install now, and once running has a built in upgrade sys, so no more faffing around with FTP and deciding what files you need to overwrite etc.

Edit:  Oh and it's php7 compatible.

Skhilled

Cool! I planned on going over there and see what's been happening. Just trying to get this theme wrapped up first.

Oldiesmann

I typically use Flickr for things I plan on sharing on other sites. For most other stuff I just dump the photos to FB to share with friends and family who are on FB.

As far as gallery scripts go I still maintain that Gallery 2 was the best one out there. Nothing since has even come close (not even their short-lived Gallery 3, which lacked most of the features that made G2 such a great script - particularly an API). I'll have to play with Piwigo though. It looks interesting.
Christian Metal Fans - https://www.christianmetal.fans

lurkalot

Quote from: Oldiesmann on Sep 02, 2019, 11:41 PMAs far as gallery scripts go I still maintain that Gallery 2 was the best one out there. Nothing since has even come close (not even their short-lived Gallery 3, which lacked most of the features that made G2 such a great script - particularly an API). I'll have to play with Piwigo though. It looks interesting.

Thing with Gallery 2 / Gallery 3 was it looked more modern straight away, not to mention it was less complicated.  Coppermine looks dated, and need integrating with a decent theme or script to make it look good.  It's got so many options which makes it confusing to use, but is very powerful.

1.6 series isn't much different looks wise, but is much easier when installing and updating now, something that's been needed for a very long time.  ;)

Skhilled

I've always liked Gallery 2 but haven't played with it in quite awhile.

Oldiesmann

Quote from: lurkalot on Sep 03, 2019, 01:17 AMThing with Gallery 2 / Gallery 3 was it looked more modern straight away, not to mention it was less complicated.  Coppermine looks dated, and need integrating with a decent theme or script to make it look good.  It's got so many options which makes it confusing to use, but is very powerful.

1.6 series isn't much different looks wise, but is much easier when installing and updating now, something that's been needed for a very long time.  ;)

The thing I liked about Gallery2 more than its modern look was the power and the embed API (see http://galleryproject.org/apidoc/GalleryCore/Classes/GalleryEmbed.html for more if you're curious). There were over a dozen extensions that you could install to add all sorts of new features and the embed API made it very easy to integrate the gallery with third-party scripts. I had a lot of fun developing the mod to integrate Gallery2 with SMF and was looking forward to seeing where they were going with Gallery3. At least Coppermine has continued but it still doesn't have the power or the flexibility that G2 did.

Quote from: Skhilled on Sep 04, 2019, 09:28 AMI've always liked Gallery 2 but haven't played with it in quite awhile.

I doubt it would work anymore - the last installation of it I had was on PHP 5.6 and even that filled up SMF's error log (mostly "Non-static method x() should never be called statically" errors - something I didn't feel like fixing due to the amount of work involved).
Christian Metal Fans - https://www.christianmetal.fans