QUICK NEWS

{NEW} - A new css video is up.

{OLD} - New video courtesy of Skhilled, Thanks for posting it up.

Video of the moment:

Internal Links

SMF Sites

Quick Info

Email Destroyed Our Privacy - 15 Solutions!

Started by Skhilled, Jan 17, 2022, 08:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skhilled

Here's a great video on how to help protect your privacy using while email. It explains a lot of things and gives suggestions on what you can do. 

Bigguy

That is a very good video. Lots of useful tips. I would suggest, even if people know most of what email is about to give it a watch. Nice video @Skhilled 
"It's the American dream....cause ya have to be asleep to believe it." - George Carlin

Skhilled

I've been sitting here watching a few of his videos. He is VERY good and makes a lot of sense. I am very concerned about my privacy and this is helping me a lot!

I recently created my own email server but the software I was using had issues. I will try it again another way and using other software. ;)

I've already known about Google's practices ever since I had purchased something using my gmail account and they contacted me asking how I liked the serve from the company I purchased from. That sent up a red flag and caused me to want to create my own email server. Yes, I could use any of the cpanel account I own or use but I don't trust them either. :dontknow

Bigguy

Privacy is a huge issue these days. My brother and I found that when we talk on our phone together that ads get served up to both of us on the topics we were talking about on the phone. It's very unsafe out there these days to talk about anything. We talk on a landline to cell so they are listening in any way they can.

Also, the Canadian Gov. just got caught spying on a ton of Canadians through some app. Maybe a covid app, I'm not sure but just downloading the app is an agreement between you and them to let them spy on you. It's screwed. Privacy is gone unless you use two tin cans and a string, lol.
"It's the American dream....cause ya have to be asleep to believe it." - George Carlin

Skhilled

LMAO, or carrier pigeons. LOL

Using apps like CCleaner, Glary's Utilities, etc. will help clean your devices. And I have always wondered if there was a way to "De-Google" your cell and have finally found it! Watch his other vids to see how. This will involve installing a new OS on the cell to get rid of Google. I may be willing to go through the process just to clear it. :)

Bigguy

Google is pure evil, along with any other company that spies on you. I don't use my cell much. Mostly for talking to the wife about what we are havin for diner, lol. Pigeons would be better than tin cans for sure, lol. :rgton

Skhilled

Yeah, I don't use my cell much either but may stop using wifi as much. At home, I use my PC and it it uses ethernet, not wifi (no wifi on my mobo...too old, LOL). My cell and tablet use wifi. So, I may just cut off wifi for my cell and tether my tablet to the cell if I need net for it since I almost always keep both with me.

Bigguy

I don't use wireless either. I game so being wired right to the router is a must. Plus, I've never liked wireless. Waaay to insecure.

Skhilled

Just saw this and although it may require a bit of work I think I'll try it but on a separate hosting other than my own to make it more secure. ;)

https://lifehacker.com/how-to-set-up-your-own-secure-email-server-1848026797

MailCow is the email service they use:

https://mailcow.github.io/mailcow-dockerized-docs/

Bigguy

An email server would be nice if I used it a lot. I don't think I do enough to justify that work for me. I'm more old school. I don't even like getting texts let alone emails. You wanna talk to me.....call me. :peace

Skhilled

Hell, I don't even talk a lot on the phone. LOL But would rather do that. ;) I text my daughter and her mom mostly but usually don't text. I just use the cell for reading emails mostly, if they are important. Otherwise, I wait until I get home and do things on the PC cause it's more secured.

I use Bitdefender Security on all of my devices and have FastVPN (Namecheap's VPN and is mostly cheaper than the others and works well).

Neša

If you don't want the hassle of running your own email server you can use kolab they are run from Switzerland and by law can not give access to your data without a warrant by a judge.

https://kolabnow.com/tos

Skhilled

I got a ton of this from Bitdefender when trying to access that link:

Quotefirefox.exe attempted to establish a connection relying on an expired certificate to translate.tosdr.org. We blocked the connection to keep your data safe since websites must renew their certificates with a certification authority to stay current, and outdated security certificates represent a risk.

Ususally, it will only show one but for that site it kept popping up new ones over and over even after I closed the site! I thought I would have to reboot my PC but it eventually stopped about 15 -20 secs after I closed it.

Neša

That is interesting I don't see that domain when I go to the URL, I can only see kolabnow.com

Skhilled

It seems to be only happening in Firefox on my end. I tried Chrome and no problems so far...