QUICK NEWS

{NEW} - A new css video is up.

{OLD} - New video courtesy of Skhilled, Thanks for posting it up.

Video of the moment:

Internal Links

SMF Sites

Quick Info

Mod suggestion: Contact Form to create thread

Started by LandyVlad, Aug 24, 2021, 08:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LandyVlad

MOD SUGGESTION (for 2.1)

Context:
The existing contact form mods I've seen (on various forum software) all appear to simply send an email to a nominated address. (I believe this is an example https://custom.simplemachines.org/index.php?mod=377 )
This is difficult to manage when the object is for all forum admins (or mods etc) as they'd all need access to the email address and to check it regularly.

PROPOSED MOD

FEATURES:

The form would have the fields -
Name or username:
Email address:
Subject:
Message Body:

and some sort of captcha (ideally reCaptcha v3  https://developers.google.com/recaptcha/docs/v3 )

* When contact form is used. the mod creates a new THREAD in (nominated board)
* Thread title:" Contact Form: Name: Subject"
* Thread 1st post content: Name, email address, Subject, Message body

In my scenario that nominated board would be one to which only admins and mods have access.

BENEFITS
* All admins / mods could view the thread.
* Discussion between admins and mods could take place in the thread before any action or response is made to the sender.
* Response could me made to user (via PM on forum) or via supplied email (for guests) 
* Ongoing record on forum.

It'd be great if someone would take up this challenge.

(Yes I've also posted this on the simplemachines.org forum)
Please do not PM me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

Bigguy

"It's the American dream....cause ya have to be asleep to believe it." - George Carlin

Neša

This is an interesting mod, I'd like to have a go at writing something.

Bigguy

"It's the American dream....cause ya have to be asleep to believe it." - George Carlin

vbgamer45

Have updated the contact page mod with that feature
+Added option to post contact page submissions to a board of your choice under settings SMF 2.0.x SMF 2.1.x!
+Almost all Hooks now for 2.0 except for language files

LandyVlad

Please do not PM me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

LandyVlad

@vbgamer45  :vcool

Thanks mate just installed it and it certainly works.  :rgton

I have set the form to create a thread in an admin/mod only board.

I see that there is a 'contact' button in the top menu now.

The only mod settings I can find are to set either an email address or a board to create a new thread in.
Is that the only user control available?

Food for thought:

- Given that the mod can create a thread rather than just an email perhaps the button on the form which says "send email" could be changed to simply "Send"
- When the thread is created in the nominated forum it would be good to have it prefixed Contact Form:(subject as entered by user)

Also it would be good to be able to:

- control the position of that contact button (as in where it appears on the menu)
- control the name of that (so for example user could specify 'contact admin' rather than 'contact'
- embed the form on another page - specifically a page within a mod (such as teh hall of fame mod) that shows the team. e.g. https://gsx1400owners.org/forum/index.php?action=hof
- embed the form within a tinyportal block (so it could be on the frontpage of the forum, or at the bottom of each page - or whatever the admin wanted).

There is a heap of further potential in this mod, I love it  :rgton :chrs

LandyVlad

Oh and just FYI @vbgamer45 you shoudl probably update the screenshot in the mod section on the simplemachines forum as the old sc reenshot there still shows old school captcha which makes it look old/outdated.  :rgton

I also submitted a review on the site as no-one else had :)

vbgamer45

Yeah updated the image. I actually updated a few images on mods. Just takes time. Had some from SMF 1.1 or even 1.0! SMF