QUICK NEWS

{NEW} - A new css video is up.

{OLD} - New video courtesy of Skhilled, Thanks for posting it up.

Video of the moment:

Internal Links

SMF Sites

Quick Info

New computer

Started by Bigguy, Jun 30, 2021, 02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigguy

So, during my absence, I managed to get a new computer. Well not new but new to me. My old one was a intel 4 core 2.4 ghz with 8gb ram and a 4gb video card. It was good for some things but not for all. I found a Dell desktop for cheap. It is an intel core i5 at 3.3 ghz that can get up and max out at 3.7 ghz. 16 gb's of ram and a smaller but better video card. The old one I had was not intended for gaming or anything like that. This one is more geared to video and gaming I guess but a little smaller at 2 gb. So I guess a bit of a step up. :)
"It's the American dream....cause ya have to be asleep to believe it." - George Carlin

LandyVlad

If you were local you could have picked up my old system...for $500 aussie dollaroos.
MOBO: Gigabyte Z170N-WIFI-CF
RAM: G Skill Trident Z (16GB x 2) DIMM 3200 MHz (part number: F4-3200C15-16GTZKW)
CPU: Intel Core i7 6700K Quad Core LGA 1151 4GHz Unlocked CPU Processor
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L12S Low Profile Multi Socket CPU Cooler
GPU: GeForce GTX950 ITX Gigabyte GeForce GTX 950 OC 2GB Video Card - Umart.com.au
SSD: Samsung 950 Pro Series 512GB M.2 SSD
Please do not PM me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

Bigguy

Sounds like a cool system for sure. I spent what I could afford though and did upgrade. The only thing that sucks is I didn't build it myself. :(
"It's the American dream....cause ya have to be asleep to believe it." - George Carlin

Skhilled

I miss building a new pc too. Haven't done it in about 5 years or so. :(

Bigguy

Yeah, I gotta get back into it. Things are real expensive right now though.

Skhilled

And if you can get any parts. People have been hoarding them I hear and selling them for high prices.

Bigguy

I believe that. Go on any site like Kijiji and the prices are insane.

Ronald

Quote from: Bigguy on Jul 03, 2021, 07:29 AMI believe that. Go on any site like Kijiji and the prices are insane.

I refuse to buy off of Kijiji, to many cheats on there, take your money and you never see your purchase.

Bigguy

I took a chance and it turned out to be someone real close to me, lol. Like, a block away, which was cool.

Skhilled

Not sure if they will mail components up there but I've always used Micro Center:

https://www.microcenter.com/site/content/custom-pc-builder.aspx

Been going there for maybe 30 years, long before I built my first PC about 18 years. I just used to buy parts and glow over all of nice things they had. LOL That was back when I lived in Philly. Then I moved about an hour away from Philly and Micro Center is just a 45 min drive. Been thinking about taking a trip there since I haven't been there in quite awhile.

Bigguy

I'll check that out. Here's a link for ya. This site allows you to build your own pc, explains the problems you may have with the parts you picked and prices everything:

https://pcpartpicker.com/

lesmond

Quote from: Bigguy on Jul 07, 2021, 04:15 PMI'll check that out. Here's a link for ya. This site allows you to build your own pc, explains the problems you may have with the parts you picked and prices everything:

https://pcpartpicker.com/
I always use part picker, but dont always use the recommended sites to buy.

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe

Bigguy

The one you linked is good on prices. I think the site might be a bit broken. I couldn't choose a motherboard after the cpu. :dontknow

LandyVlad

Thats fine - in theory it ought to offer you only mobos compatible with your chosen CPU.
In theory.
Please do not PM me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

Bigguy

It looks like a good site though. I'll check it out further. :rgton

lesmond

Quote from: Bigguy on Jul 07, 2021, 06:32 PMThe one you linked is good on prices. I think the site might be a bit broken. I couldn't choose a motherboard after the cpu. :dontknow
It will only offer a other components if it finds one compatible

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe

Skhilled

Yes, they are good on prices and their support is top notch. They have just about everything you'd expect dealing with computers including assembling it for and classes onsite.

I usually do my research for what I want across a number of sites. But after I find what I'm looking for I take the drive there and buy it unless it's REALLY cheaper elsewhere. If it's slightly higher I'll still buy from them for all of the great service they've given me over the years.

Bigguy

Quote from: lesmond on Jul 08, 2021, 04:43 AMIt will only offer a other components if it finds one compatible
They must have a motherboard compatible with intel cpu's. I'll try again today at some point.

Quote from: Skhilled on Jul 08, 2021, 07:50 AMI usually do my research for what I want across a number of sites.
That's the best thing to do right there. I'm gonna have to build one soon again.

Skhilled

I need a new one too. Been working 6 days a week for awhile now so the OT will help. :)