QUICK NEWS

{NEW} - A new css video is up.

{OLD} - New video courtesy of Skhilled, Thanks for posting it up.

Video of the moment:

Internal Links

SMF Sites

Quick Info

Convert phpBB 3.3 to SMF 2.1.2

Started by Ronald, Aug 05, 2022, 02:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ronald

I opened up a forum on phpBB 3.3, awful lot of work for upkeep, nothing is to easy on phpBB.

Is there anyone on here that can do a conversion to SMF 2.1.2 for me. and how much would it cost me?

https://seniorsgossip.com/index.php

Thanks
Ron.

Bigguy

Not to sure there is a converter yet for that.

* Bigguy wonders why you went with phpbb.
"It's the American dream....cause ya have to be asleep to believe it." - George Carlin

Bigguy

I found this converter, but I don't think it'll work. You would have to be on 2.0.19. There might be one in the works that I am not aware of though.

Converter
"It's the American dream....cause ya have to be asleep to believe it." - George Carlin

Ronald

Quote from: Bigguy on Aug 05, 2022, 05:20 PMNot to sure there is a converter yet for that.

* Bigguy wonders why you went with phpbb.

I think there is smf has a phpbb3 converter. I am wondering if it'll work also, because phpBB just had an upgrade from 3.3.7 tp 3.3.8.

I changed because I wanted to try something different.
Ron.

shawnb61

Yep, the current converter to 2.0.19 is highlighted above.

There is a PR for 2.1 converters that folks are still testing here:
https://github.com/SimpleMachines/converters/pull/11

Ronald

Quote from: shawnb61 on Aug 05, 2022, 06:52 PMYep, the current converter to 2.0.19 is highlighted above.

There is a PR for 2.1 converters that folks are still testing here:
https://github.com/SimpleMachines/converters/pull/11

They can test it doing a conversion on my board, if they want. I am willing to chance it.

Ronald

I think for now, I'll stay with phpBB.  I installed a SMF 2.1.2 test board, put a couple of skins in and some mod's.

Now don't get me wrong here, smf is great and I have used it for many years, but the same problem is still hanging there. Mod's are outdated, a few new ones, a lot of mod's abandoned.

Quite a few mod's I wanted, I could not install due to incompatible, or abandoned. I just can't figure why you'd make a mod, then not keep it updated.

Bigguy

Quote from: Ronald on Aug 06, 2022, 07:01 AMI just can't figure why you'd make a mod, then not keep it updated.
There are alot of reasons this may happen. SMF is good without mods and even better with them. I don't think Phpbb has a system like SMF does for modding.

Ronald

Quote from: Bigguy on Aug 06, 2022, 10:42 AMThere are alot of reasons this may happen. SMF is good without mods and even better with them. I don't think Phpbb has a system like SMF does for modding.

Geoff I will say the modders at phpBB seem to keep things updated.

I did upgrade Arcadeholics to SMF 2.1.2

Bigguy

They keep them updated but are they not still manual edits or do they have something like a package manager. :???

Ronald

Quote from: Bigguy on Aug 08, 2022, 04:58 PMThey keep them updated but are they not still manual edits or do they have something like a package manager. :???

Download the Ext. Open up your FTP to the location. Zip open the Ext select the name and slide it into the Ext you see on the FTP. After it installs go into the ACP and click on the Ext to activate it.
Works pretty good, but SMF is better and quicker.

Bigguy

So, half and half really. You still have some stuff to do manually.

Ronald

Quote from: Bigguy on Aug 08, 2022, 07:43 PMSo, half and half really. You still have some stuff to do manually.

Works are similar to smf mod's are called Ext and skins are called Style.

You zip the mod or style and click on name and install in either Ext or Stlye, then go into the ACP and click activate

Bigguy

But it still has to be uploaded manually, correct. :???

Ronald

Quote from: Bigguy on Aug 08, 2022, 09:18 PMBut it still has to be uploaded manually, correct. :???

I guess so, you use the ftp or install via the cpanel