QUICK NEWS

{NEW} - A new css video is up.

{OLD} - New video courtesy of Skhilled, Thanks for posting it up.

Video of the moment:

Internal Links

SMF Sites

Quick Info

Signal

Started by Skhilled, Aug 26, 2022, 10:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skhilled

Private text and video calls.

"State-of-the-art end-to-end encryption (powered by the open source Signal Protocol) keeps your conversations secure. We can't read your messages or listen to your calls, and no one else can either. Privacy isn't an optional mode — it's just the way that Signal works. Every message, every call, every time."

https://signal.org/

Bigguy

That looks good. Open source and all. Nice. :)
"It's the American dream....cause ya have to be asleep to believe it." - George Carlin

shawnb61

Signal is one of the main ways DC journalists communicate with sources.  (/leaks)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/anonymous-news-tips/

Skhilled

Cool, I didn't know that. I do miss going to the Inner Harbor for seafood in Baltimore and just hanging out around DC...haven't been down there in quite a few years. I have a ton of family there.

EDIT: Downloaded but it's late so I'll wait until tomorrow to test it.

shawnb61

Bigguy

Not to take this off topic but did ya see the tweet below that, lmao.

You cannot view this attachment.
"It's the American dream....cause ya have to be asleep to believe it." - George Carlin

Neša

This is a great tool, I've been using it for years.
WhatsApp uses signals encryption method the difference is WahtsApp keeps the keys on the server. In Signal the keys are stored on the device.

Skhilled

Quote from: shawnb61 on Sep 26, 2022, 03:17 PMSignal is asking for help opening up communications in Iran:
https://twitter.com/signalapp/status/1573095143384952832?t=Kbkxc_01ciV9nj4rf_GZnQ&s=19
Looks like they've forgot to mention which OS you'll need to install...Ubuntu.;)

Quote from: Bigguy on Sep 26, 2022, 04:07 PMNot to take this off topic but did ya see the tweet below that, lmao.

You cannot view this attachment.
LMAO!!!

I've heard of Signal in the past but have never used it until now. :)

EDIT: I am thinking of making a signal proxy but am also worried about hackers using it if it is announced...

Neša

Quote from: Skhilled on Sep 27, 2022, 11:24 AMEDIT: I am thinking of making a signal proxy but am also worried about hackers using it if it is announced...

Only traffic to the signal servers is permitted in the proxy everything else is dropped, you can test this by running the docker container and loading the proxy into your browser and going to duckduckgo.com it should timeout.

Skhilled

But people also get hacked via links in fake text messages. I sometimes get them but I just delete them and usually my TrueCaller app blocks them or lets me block them.

Neša

Quote from: Skhilled on Sep 28, 2022, 01:51 AMBut people also get hacked via links in fake text messages. I sometimes get them but I just delete them and usually my TrueCaller app blocks them or lets me block them.

If you are afraid about robo scam texts I've had signal for 5 - 6 years and haven't received one scam text. I do get them on my normal sms app.

Having a proxy will allow the person to sign up and use the app, also signal can't send out normal text messages so they can only talk to other signal users.

Skhilled

Thanks, sorry but I've been so busy lately I haven't even started on this yet. LOL After I clear the slate I may try it. :)

LandyVlad

Quote from: Skhilled on Aug 26, 2022, 10:42 PMPrivate text and video calls.

"State-of-the-art end-to-end encryption (powered by the open source Signal Protocol) keeps your conversations secure. We can't read your messages or listen to your calls, and no one else can either. Privacy isn't an optional mode — it's just the way that Signal works. Every message, every call, every time."

Hmmmmm

Please do not PM me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

Neša

There was a good video on how signal works :) You can also view the maths.
https://signal.org/docs/
But the implementation can be attacked and most of the time that is what is broken not the algorithm.

LandyVlad

Yep that's what I was getting at.  There's always a weakness in the chain somewhere.
Please do not PM me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.