Group Permissions

Started by Ronald, May 04, 2019, 01:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Ronald

I set up a new Member Group, but am finding it almost impossible to set up the permissions. I want this Group to only Post in one forum.

SMF seems to hate funny permissions, and always did have, this has been there solutions for years is to make a special group for special forums, well it doesn't work all the time..

I also have a IPB forum and there Group Permissions are easy to set up, you can give one group permissions and not the other group..

Well you can do this with SMF to but it's not the same. When I open a new category and then open a new forum and I want to give one group special permissions, to post only, I see no way of doing this..

If I am wrong, can someone convince me how to set this up.

Bigguy

You should be able to do it here (see screenshot)

Ronald

Quote from: Bigguy on May 04, 2019, 01:21 PMYou should be able to do it here (see screenshot)

Is this for one group and one topic. I have one topic for read only with only one member group allow to post a new post daily.

Bigguy

If you go to modify a board you should see those permissions. Just allow the membergroup in you want to and deny the rest.

Ronald

Quote from: Bigguy on May 04, 2019, 01:41 PMIf you go to modify a board you should see those permissions. Just allow the membergroup in you want to and deny the rest.

Can't do that.. I check marked one group and denied the rest. The rest can no longer see that forum.

SMF permissions are  whacky.. :bnghd

What I want is a Read Only Forum, and only one specific group allowed to post, and the other groups to Read only, not post..

Bigguy

Make a membergroup moderators of the board and set it to read only. Anyone in the group that is moderators should be able to post and everyone else can just read.....maybe, lol. It may work. I think it will actually.

Ronald

Quote from: Bigguy on May 04, 2019, 04:14 PMMake a membergroup moderators of the board and set it to read only. Anyone in the group that is moderators should be able to post and everyone else can just read.....maybe, lol. It may work. I think it will actually.

I made the group, and had to give the group Moderators permissions. I did this at the beginning, and this is what I am asking to change, but it's impossible with the SMF permissions, there just isn't any other way around this.

SychO

It's possible with board profiles, though I'm still sleepy right now so can't explain lol

SychO

If you go to Permissions > Edit profiles, you'll be able to create a new profile from the Read Only profile, once you create that new profile, click on it and then select a group and you'll be able to allow that group to create posts/topics, once you're done, go to your board's settings and select the profile you created in Permission Profile: and then save.

Ronald

Quote from: SychO on May 05, 2019, 04:56 AMIf you go to Permissions > Edit profiles, you'll be able to create a new profile from the Read Only profile, once you create that new profile, click on it and then select a group and you'll be able to allow that group to create posts/topics, once you're done, go to your board's settings and select the profile you created in Permission Profile: and then save.

I tried, but I get this: Note: You cannot edit this permission profile as it is a predefined profile included within the forum software by default. If you wish to change the permissions of this profile you must first create a duplicate profile. You can carry out this task by clicking here.

Bigguy

May 05, 2019, 07:09 PM #10 Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 06:58 AM by Bigguy Reason: fixed
Did you click there...and then edit the new profile. :dontknow

SychO

That's why I said you have to create a new profile based on Read Only and then edit the new profile

Not edit the Read Only profile

Bigguy

I meant edit the new profile. I should have said that, sorry. Fixed