Chrome

Started by Bigguy, Dec 04, 2020, 08:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigguy

I just ran into a problem the other day that was a bit weird. I was fixing this computer for a guy and he said it was really slow. I determined that chrome is scanning your computer files with something called software_reporter_tool.exe. Open task manager and look for it if your computer is slowing down. I'm not sure why it does this but I don't find it to be a good thing.

Skhilled

Bigguy

Yeah, it says it's safe but I don't like things scanning my computer unless I ask it to. The computer I was working on was a low end laptop so when this was running, it slowed it down to the point it would not run proper.

LandyVlad

cough cough linux !
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

Bigguy

Quote from: LandyVlad on Dec 14, 2020, 09:23 PMcough cough linux !
Been thinking about this a lot lately.

Neša

Dec 15, 2020, 10:01 PM #5 Last Edit: Dec 16, 2020, 05:09 PM by Neša
If it is a low end latptop you will need to go for a non resource heavy window manager, I'd recommend XFCE once booted it uses about 400 to 600 MB of ram.

I had it running on a very old under powered laptop.
Xubuntu is a a flavor of Ubuntu with XFCE running as the default windows manager.
If they are new to Linux LinuxLite might also work for them, it has XFCE and is a bit friendlier than Ubuntu. Both of them are based on Ubuntu.

Bigguy

@Neša I will keep this in mind the next time they bring their laptop over to be fixed.

LandyVlad

For lightweight footprint and beginner use I prefer Linux Mint (also ubuntu based) with xfce.

You'll note though that the desktop environment xfce is the common thing here :)
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

Skhilled

I've always liked Mint and Ubuntu. Suse is also a nice option.

Oldiesmann

I still prefer KDE, though XFCE and LXDE are nice as well (still not a fan of Gnome though)
Cincy Space - now open! https://www.cincyspace.net

Skhilled

Yes, I do like KDE as well. :)