QUICK NEWS

{NEW} - A new css video is up.

{OLD} - New video courtesy of Skhilled, Thanks for posting it up.

Video of the moment:

Internal Links

SMF Sites

Quick Info

Email from cPanel 'Responding to the RHEL announcement'

Started by lesmond, Jul 11, 2023, 04:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lesmond

Dear Customer,

We are writing to address the recent announcement made by Red Hat regarding significant changes to its source code policies. This news was unexpected in the open-source and web hosting worlds and has raised concerns regarding the feasibility of rebuilds and forks of Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL).

At cPanel, we understand the importance of this news and want to assure you that we are closely monitoring the key organizations involved to provide you with the most up-to-date solutions as we navigate through these changes together.

Continued OS Support.

We aim to provide greater operating system (OS) stability and increased safety for all our customers. With this in mind, we will continue to support RockyLinux, AlmaLinux and CloudLinux, as they promise continued service. For full details, please read their official announcements: CloudLinux, AlmaLinux, RockyLinux

However, if you wish to move to a different Linux-based distribution, we currently support Ubuntu 20.04 LTS on cPanel v102 and higher, and Ubuntu 22.04 LTS is on our roadmap for this year. Ubuntu continues to grow in popularity as one of the leading distros, and we're open to hearing your feedback to help with this transition. You can view all supported OS here.

We remain committed to finding solutions that address any concerns associated with these changes. By supporting different OS vendors, we aim to support a wide variety of avenues for your business to overcome any potential challenges from third-party vendors.

For more information, please read this article. You can also visit our support portal to help you with any further queries. 

Thank you for your trust,
The cPanel Team

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe

Skhilled

I'm not surprised which is why I was originally pushing for Ubuntu on the server when all of this first happened.

Neša

Rocky already have an automated way to bypass the block. They will be spinning up red hat cloud images and using them to download the source code  :lb
https://rockylinux.org/news/keeping-open-source-open/

I'll be watching this issue.

Oldiesmann

Plesk, which is owned by cPanel (but under a separate company) sent out the same email (except the last two links go to the relevant pages on the Plesk site of course). I moved to Ubuntu years ago because I wanted more up to date software (that's also how I ended up on Plesk - cPanel didn't support Ubuntu at the time; now I wouldn't go back because I like Plesk better than cPanel/WHM)
Christian Metal Fans - https://www.christianmetal.fans

lesmond

I have AlmaLinux on my cPanel server. I have tried Plesk, I don't like the interface at all >:(

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe

Skhilled

I liked Plesk but knew that the users on the server probably wouldn't want to change.

LandyVlad

Did anyone really expect anything better from Red Hat? I doubt it.
Customer focus? :nno
Please do not PM me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.