QUICK NEWS

{NEW} - A new css video is up.

{OLD} - New video courtesy of Skhilled, Thanks for posting it up.

Video of the moment:

Internal Links

SMF Sites

Quick Info

Unlock your cpu

Started by Bigguy, Jan 18, 2022, 08:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LandyVlad

Maybe pick up a 2nd hand mid-range 6GB GPU that's not in great demand to keep you gong for a while longer?  I think it'll be at least another year before GPUs come down in price and up in availability.

Please do not PM me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

Skhilled

It's either that or buy a prebuilt.

LandyVlad

What GPU are you currently running @Bigguy and what CPU?

You may find that some more modern processors with onboard graphics may perform better!
Please do not PM me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

Skhilled

Yeah, I've been looking at some of those too.

Bigguy

@LandyVlad Currently using a AMD Radeon R7 200 series. I know, it's an old card and very small but believe it or not it's better than what I was using. As for a cpu, it's an Intel Core I5 4590 It max's out at 3.5 ghz, with 4 cores and 4 threads, again, I know it's small but it's better than what I was running.
"It's the American dream....cause ya have to be asleep to believe it." - George Carlin

LandyVlad

Too bad you weren't closer when I sold my last system :) I'd have given you mates rates :)

LandyVlad

@Bigguy I think your best bet to get most out of your system without overkill is to see if you can get an nvidia GTX1070 for a decent price.

edit: I'd go for a GTX 1060 6gb or an RX 480/580. 1070 will be bottlenecked by that CPU

Neša

If you are thinking of upgrading I would go with Ryzen. You can get cheap second hand V1 systems, the mother board will work with v2 or v3 if the bios is updated.
AMD didn't change the socket type between versions. You'll need to do some research to see if a bios update is available for the mother board.

I have a V2 Ryzen cpu in my new pc when the prices calm down I'll upgrade it to a V3

LandyVlad

Yep I am a big believer in AMD mobos/cpus - much better value for money than Intel.

As for graphics cards though no need to match them as an AMD or NVidia card will run in both systems. Just get best peformance/$ available at the time.

Now is NOT a good time to need a graphics card especially a higher end one. 

Skhilled

I'm a AMD guy too but I always go kind of middle of the road with my video cards and usually buy nvidia. Even when prices were low the high end ones cost too much, imo...at least for me. LOL

Bigguy

I was going to buy a 12 core 25 thread server to game on but decided against it. When I build my next computer I will be going with all AMD.

(8000 posts)
"It's the American dream....cause ya have to be asleep to believe it." - George Carlin

Skhilled

LandyVlad

Quote from: Bigguy on Feb 09, 2022, 06:04 PM(8000 posts)

Where? Not here and not on Simplemachines org where you have 13K+

Neša

Quote from: LandyVlad on Feb 10, 2022, 01:27 AMWhere? Not here and not on Simplemachines org where you have 13K+

I think BigGuy was talking about the forum total posts. It is at 8,011 as of this post

Bigguy

Nesa's got it.....just like markin the posts. :emb