QUICK NEWS

{NEW} - A new css video is up.

{OLD} - New video courtesy of Skhilled, Thanks for posting it up.

Video of the moment:

Internal Links

SMF Sites

Quick Info

PMs not sending properly

Started by LandyVlad, Dec 09, 2022, 09:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LandyVlad

My members, admins and I are experiencing issues with sending PMs.

Sometimes the little spinny icon thing will sit there for ages, and is USUALLY posts eventually - but may take 30 seconds.

Other times pressing send doesn't appear to do anything at all. (The same page with pm there as if not yet sent is still there).

www.gsx1400owners.org/forum    v2.0.19

The only change that has been made recently is the mail settings (for notifications etc) but this should have nothing to do with the PM system.

I have made no other changes of any kind to forum settings etc.

Posting in the forums is as normal, so it appears to be restricted to PMs. This makes me suspect it's a software/forum settings issue rather than a server side issue.

I really need to get this resolved asap.

Any helps / tips etc would be greatly appreciated.

Ta.
Please do not PM me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

Neša

It sounds like a timeout issue, is it always x number of seconds or will it change?
I'm not sure on the SMF pm logic it might wait for the email to send before it takes you to the sent part of the page.

If it is a timeout issue it should show up in the php logs, maybe also in the forum logs under the admin view.

shawnb61

First suspicion is a db issue of some sort.

Turn debug on.  Send a PM & scan for long running queries.

Add this to Settings.php:
$db_show_debug = true;

Only admins can view the queries.

Remove or set to false when done.

LandyVlad

Thanks Nesa and @shawnb61

I didn't end up having to go further on this as the matter resolved itself.
Again I've no idea what caused it but hey its working, so all good.
Please do not PM me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.