QUICK NEWS

{NEW} - A new css video is up.

{OLD} - New video courtesy of Skhilled, Thanks for posting it up.

Video of the moment:

Internal Links

SMF Sites

Quick Info

Question?

Started by Ronald, Feb 07, 2023, 10:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ronald

I am getting notices to upgrade the system from Centosv7.9.2009 to Alamlinux8.
May I ask what happens when and if I click Upgrade.
See image below.

You cannot view this attachment.

Don't forget I am running IPB 4.6 using it as an Arcade with 35,000 games installed.

Skhilled

That notice is because CentOS will no longer be upgraded as of Dec last year...it is now outdated. So, cPanel has collaborated with Almalinux to help may converting your OS to another as easy as possible. You won't have to change servers, IP addresses, move files/db's, change nameservers, etc.

Please keep in mind that they say this is experimental and you should back everything up before attempting this. You should also go to your Security Advisor and make sure everything is working as it should. You don't have to worry about the parts where it says you'd have to pay for something.

If you have any concerns then post them on the cPanel forums and also read up on it there first. ;)

Ronald

Quote from: Skhilled on Feb 07, 2023, 07:53 PMThat notice is because CentOS will no longer be upgraded as of Dec last year...it is now outdated. So, cPanel has collaborated with Almalinux to help may converting your OS to another as easy as possible. You won't have to change servers, IP addresses, move files/db's, change nameservers, etc.

Please keep in mind that they say this is experimental and you should back everything up before attempting this. You should also go to your Security Advisor and make sure everything is working as it should. You don't have to worry about the parts where it says you'd have to pay for something.

If you have any concerns then post them on the cPanel forums and also read up on it there first. ;)

Thanks Steve. I might have to get someone to do this work. This type of stuff, makes me leery as to the outcomes.

Skhilled

Me too. LOL Mostly, because of it is experimental.. If it was tested and true I'd have no probs with it. But I'll try it anyways because of the security issues I'd face if I didn't. ;)

Ronald

Quote from: Skhilled on Feb 07, 2023, 09:34 PMMe too. LOL Mostly, because of it is experimental.. If it was tested and true I'd have no probs with it. But I'll try it anyways because of the security issues I'd face if I didn't. ;)

I have other notices also. The package is outdated, and Contabo doesn't update them, you do. I have till June anyway.

I am wondering maybe if I should get another Host, I need at least 60 to 80 GB.

I noticed looking at a couple of hosting packages they now include the cpanel

Dave

Have a look here Ron https://www.hostinger.co.uk big savings to be had, yes I know it's .co.uk but there may be a Canadian/US version with a similar deal, you might even be able to use the .co.uk version

The business option is £229 for 4 years with 200GB storage there is a lesser option with 100GB

I have had both my sites with them sice last year. They don't use cPanel but what they do use is very easy to navigate as yet I've had no issues at all. What you need to look out for, and I didn't check, is the inodes limits. This basically means single files if you can find out how many you're using now it will give you something to check with a new host. If you don't see a limit in the details Ron make sure you ask them first via email or their helpdesk
If you want play quizzes or games click below

Skhilled

Quote from: Ronald on Feb 08, 2023, 10:33 AMI have other notices also. The package is outdated, and Contabo doesn't update them, you do. I have till June anyway.

I am wondering maybe if I should get another Host, I need at least 60 to 80 GB.

I noticed looking at a couple of hosting packages they now include the cpanel
The hosting does not update cPanel...you and/or cPanel does. Always make sure your cPanel/WHM is updated via the Update page. ;) It may or may not update minor versions but you must update major versions, especially large versions or security versions. It will have a notice in the Notifications when you will need to upgrade. ;)

Also, check once a week or so your Security Advisor. It will help a lot. ;)

EDIT: Ron, I think you are confused about how hosting works. "Shared" hosting will update cPanel for you but not any software you install.

"Unmanaged" VPS/Dedicated hosting will only fix server hardware for you and "you" must update and fix all software or find someone to do it for you. This is cheaper than "Managed" hosting.

"Managed" hosting will spell out what they will do for you and you must do the rest, if anything. This will cost you 2-4 times as much than "Unmanaged" hosting but they will usually do everything for you.

You need to find out which type of hosting you paid for and what they are actually willing to do. It has been spelled out for you in their Terms Of Service. ;)

Ronald

Quote from: Dave on Feb 08, 2023, 05:15 PMHave a look here Ron https://www.hostinger.co.uk big savings to be had, yes I know it's .co.uk but there may be a Canadian/US version with a similar deal, you might even be able to use the .co.uk version

The business option is £229 for 4 years with 200GB storage there is a lesser option with 100GB

I have had both my sites with them sice last year. They don't use cPanel but what they do use is very easy to navigate as yet I've had no issues at all. What you need to look out for, and I didn't check, is the inodes limits. This basically means single files if you can find out how many you're using now it will give you something to check with a new host. If you don't see a limit in the details Ron make sure you ask them first via email or their helpdesk

I have a Host in the UK iFastnet been with them about 20 years. It is Contabo I want to change for the arcade.

Ronald

Quote from: Skhilled on Feb 08, 2023, 09:25 PMThe hosting does not update cPanel...you and/or cPanel does. Always make sure your cPanel/WHM is updated via the Update page. ;) It may or may not update minor versions but you must update major versions, especially large versions or security versions. It will have a notice in the Notifications when you will need to upgrade. ;)

Also, check once a week or so your Security Advisor. It will help a lot. ;)

EDIT: Ron, I think you are confused about how hosting works. "Shared" hosting will update cPanel for you but not any software you install.

"Unmanaged" VPS/Dedicated hosting will only fix server hardware for you and "you" must update and fix all software or find someone to do it for you. This is cheaper than "Managed" hosting.

"Managed" hosting will spell out what they will do for you and you must do the rest, if anything. This will cost you 2-4 times as much than "Unmanaged" hosting but they will usually do everything for you.

You need to find out which type of hosting you paid for and what they are actually willing to do. It has been spelled out for you in their Terms Of Service. ;)

I use "Unmanaged"  I do the cPanel upgrades when they notify me, it shows in the upper corner to update, just updated the cpanel the other day. It is the operating system that is needing to be upgraded, the one I am using now is no longer available after June.

Skhilled

Ah! Yeah, it will defo need it very soon!

Neša

Quote from: Ronald on Feb 11, 2023, 10:02 AMI use "Unmanaged"  I do the cPanel upgrades when they notify me, it shows in the upper corner to update, just updated the cpanel the other day. It is the operating system that is needing to be upgraded, the one I am using now is no longer available after June.
Ronald You have another year it is EOL in 2024, Cpanel will stop supporting it in the next release. You will still get security patches from centos.

I expect better service from them, you pay a huge fee to use the control panel and they tell you to use an experimental script to upgrade your server.
Since you are running a VM, are you able to do a snapshot? You can test the upgrade by setting SMF into to maintenance mode. Run a snapshot of the server, run the script test that it went well. If you have issues roll back to the snapshot think of another upgrade approach.

Skhilled

I see it on my server too. But it's just an option and you don't have to use it.

EDIT: The more I think about, I think it's a good thing. For years in order to upgrade your OS you'd have to:

1.  Get another VPS and IP address for it...and maybe have to pay for and the new IP address.
2.  Install the new OS on it, make sure it's updated, then install WHM on it.
3.  Move the accounts to the new VPS and make sure they are working.
4.  Delete everything on the old VPS.

With this (if it works), you run the software and make sure everything is working.

You just need to back everything up before doing it as well as making sure you adhere to the advice for upgrading before doing it. If it fails, then you'd just restore from your backup.

Neša

Quote from: Skhilled on Feb 13, 2023, 05:22 PMI see it on my server too. But it's just an option and you don't have to use it.

EDIT: The more I think about, I think it's a good thing. For years in order to upgrade your OS you'd have to:

1.  Get another VPS and IP address for it...and maybe have to pay for and the new IP address.
2.  Install the new OS on it, make sure it's updated, then install WHM on it.
3.  Move the accounts to the new VPS and make sure they are working.
4.  Delete everything on the old VPS.

With this (if it works), you run the software and make sure everything is working.

You just need to back everything up before doing it as well as making sure you adhere to the advice for upgrading before doing it. If it fails, then you'd just restore from your backup.
It was the one thing that CentOS couldn't get working from RHEL, Red Hat has an in place upgrade when I was running it on my laptop I went from 7.9 to 8.2 with no issue. They also have a server migration tool but it isn't opensource so they don't release it to the public  ;D

Skhilled

But it's a choice if you want to use Redhat or AlmaLinux. It's the user's choice. At least there are multiple options. ;)

Ronald

Quote from: Neša on Feb 12, 2023, 07:35 PMRonald You have another year it is EOL in 2024, Cpanel will stop supporting it in the next release. You will still get security patches from centos.

I expect better service from them, you pay a huge fee to use the control panel and they tell you to use an experimental script to upgrade your server.
Since you are running a VM, are you able to do a snapshot? You can test the upgrade by setting SMF into to maintenance mode. Run a snapshot of the server, run the script test that it went well. If you have issues roll back to the snapshot think of another upgrade approach.

Thanks Nesa, I don't have any problems with SMF or the Host it is on.

On the Contabo Host, I have a Arcade Forum https://ronaldsarcade.com/ It is an IPB software.