QUICK NEWS

{NEW} - A new css video is up.

{OLD} - New video courtesy of Skhilled, Thanks for posting it up.

Video of the moment:

Internal Links

SMF Sites

Quick Info

5 questions 1 active

Started by Bigguy, Mar 05, 2019, 09:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigguy

This is what they say to do on SMF for verification questions. TO have a lot of questions and only one active. To fool spammers and such. My idea is this. I have one question upon sign up and I just keep changing the answer every week or two. Along with recaptcha and the other SMF related captcha I think this works the same if not better than having all those questions and one active. I am doing this on two sites now and it seems to work fine. Any thoughts on this.
"It's the American dream....cause ya have to be asleep to believe it." - George Carlin

lesmond

I always have problems with  Type the letters shown in the picture: I always have to Request another image.

the rest is normally not a problem

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe

Bigguy

I just listen to it instead of asking for another image. ;)
"It's the American dream....cause ya have to be asleep to believe it." - George Carlin

lesmond

Quote from: Bigguy on Mar 05, 2019, 10:57 AMI just listen to it instead of asking for another image. ;)

I have never tried that :emb  :dontknow

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe

Bigguy

LandyVlad

My $0.02

I never use that stupid 'type the letters etc'.  In many cases it's harder for people to do than computers tobreak...

Recaptcha v2 is the go!  (as supported directly in SMF2.1). Has been very effective for me on the DFF so far (and my previous 2.1 test site). NIL spammers so far and I'm only using Recaptcha 2.  No security questions, no other mods.  Let's hope it stays that way !  :) 

As far as the security questions go.  There's be no difference between 20 questions, and asking one, than there would be with one and asking one.  In fact the former would be better as if the answer to the one got out there you are vulnerable for several weeks.  Plus your way also requires regular manual intervention, and I like to decrease my workload not increase it :)

Please do not PM me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

Bigguy

Quote from: LandyVlad on Mar 05, 2019, 07:14 PMPlus your way also requires regular manual intervention,
Very minimal though. Change it once per week or every 2 weeks, no big deal. :)

Skhilled

Sorry, but I agree with LandyVlad. You should be able to set it and forget it...until there an update with bugs. LOL

Bigguy

Quote from: Skhilled on Mar 08, 2019, 11:30 AMYou should be able to set it and forget it.
I agree, but in this day and age you have to keep on top of things.