QUICK NEWS

{NEW} - A new css video is up.

{OLD} - New video courtesy of Skhilled, Thanks for posting it up.

Video of the moment:

Internal Links

SMF Sites

Quick Info

Make a clone

Started by Ronald, Feb 18, 2019, 10:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ronald

How do I make a clone of my live forum..

Bigguy

All you really need to do is get a database backup and install a new forum into a folder on your server. Dump the database into the new site you made. You will have to use repair_settings.php to change paths on the new forum, but that should be it really. I have never done it but that would be the jist of it I think. The steps I would take are:

• Take a backup of the entire site
  • Make a folder or sub-domain on your server
  • Install the same copy of SMF in it as you took the back up from
  • Once the new site is installed, run repair_settings.php and wipe the database from it
  • Dump the database backup you have into it
  • Run repair_settings.php again
  • this should be it

This is what I would do. Now, keep in mind that the database prefix might have to be changed and/or the name of the database so that there is no screwing up the other forums database.

I have never done this so while I am sure these are the steps I would wait to see if anyone else can confirm this before you start.
"It's the American dream....cause ya have to be asleep to believe it." - George Carlin

live627

Huh, what timing. I just finished cloning my site for the purpose of testing the upgrade to 2.1.

3. Copying the files is enough. You don't need to fresh install then delete tables. Wasted effort. So, you can skip 4.

If you want to try 2.1, you can use the appropriate files. After running repair_settings.php you can then run the upgrader.

Bigguy

Thanks Live for jumpin in there :rgton
"It's the American dream....cause ya have to be asleep to believe it." - George Carlin

LandyVlad

I read somewhere that you need to ensure you disable member notifications so they don't get all sorts of random stuff about the duplicate forum.  Not sure whether you do this before or after installing the new forum etc / or where.

A step by step of the full process, with images would be handy.
Just sayin'

:)
Please do not PM me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

Bigguy

:dontknow but I don't think you would have to worry about this. If you do you can disable them after you install the clone.

Skhilled

You can follow this although there's not a lot of images in it.

https://www.docskillz.com/docs/index.php?page=page201

The most important things are to make sure you run repair_settings.php after you set it up and make sure everything (including the admin settings in the test forum) points to the new forum and db...not the old. If something is still pointing to the old forum, let's say the db, then it will still be linked to the old one and use and store whatever you do in the new forum onto the old one. This is probably what happened with the "notifications" issue you were talking about. Something was still pointed/connected to it...possibly a mod or setting and is why that happened.

If you run into trouble let me know and I'll be happy to help you. I've done it possibly a few hundred times. LOL I usually have about 10 various test sire, mostly clones on my server most of the time.

Ronald

OK simple enough, but actually what I wanted was the clone the smf 2.0.15 forum to a smf 2.1 forum for testing..

I already have a smf 2.1 test board setup.. I wanted to see what it is going to look like. I am not quite ready to convert the 2.0.15 over to 2.1 yet. If it was stable enough to do this, then I'd love to change over.

Bigguy

I think it is stable enough really. If no other problems are found right now RC2 should be out very soon.

lurkalot

Quote from: Ronald on Mar 09, 2019, 12:59 PMOK simple enough, but actually what I wanted was the clone the smf 2.0.15 forum to a smf 2.1 forum for testing..

I already have a smf 2.1 test board setup.. I wanted to see what it is going to look like. I am not quite ready to convert the 2.0.15 over to 2.1 yet. If it was stable enough to do this, then I'd love to change over.

I'm not in a hurry to upgrade from 2.0.15 to 2.1 it's far too buggy atm. I can wait. ;) But when I do I'll be doing the same on a clone.

Ronald

Quote from: lurkalot on Mar 09, 2019, 01:57 PMI'm not in a hurry to upgrade from 2.0.15 to 2.1 it's far too buggy atm. I can wait. ;) But when I do I'll be doing the same on a clone.

Well this is how I feel, always seems to be something happening..Been waiting about 10 or more years now, what's another few years..

Skhilled

I'm in no rush either. I'll probably wait until the final release before updating for good.

Bigguy

I think this question was answered. Marking it solved.