QUICK NEWS

{NEW} - A new css video is up.

{OLD} - New video courtesy of Skhilled, Thanks for posting it up.

Video of the moment:

Internal Links

SMF Sites

Quick Info

Convert phpBB 3.3 to SMF 2.1.2

Started by Ronald, Aug 05, 2022, 02:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigguy

I would have thought they would have gotten over that hurdle ages ago.
"It's the American dream....cause ya have to be asleep to believe it." - George Carlin

Skhilled

They used to have a mod for installing mods via the admin that worked very well but the dev stopped updating it for unknown reasons.

I like phpBB but as Ron said, it does require a lot of work.

Bigguy

I remember that mod. I did try Phpbb once or twice but it had waay to much stuff in the admin panel for me. Just to much work, plus it just looked like overkill really.
"It's the American dream....cause ya have to be asleep to believe it." - George Carlin

Ronald

Quote from: Bigguy on Aug 05, 2022, 05:25 PMI found this converter, but I don't think it'll work. You would have to be on 2.0.19. There might be one in the works that I am not aware of though.

Converter

Geoff, here is the proper convertor: https://download.simplemachines.org/index.php?converters;id=50 it is phpbb3 and converts you to SMF 2.0.1.9 from there I'd have to upgrade to 2.1.2

Your thoughts on doing this.

Bigguy

As long as all the database changes did what they were supposed to do I would think it could be done. :rgton

Ronald

Quote from: Bigguy on Sep 25, 2022, 04:21 PMAs long as all the database changes did what they were supposed to do I would think it could be done. :rgton

You willing to attempt to convert.?

If I made one forum, could just the members be brought over with there passwords.

Bigguy

Quote from: Ronald on Sep 25, 2022, 05:58 PMYou willing to attempt to convert.?
I haven't done that in awhile. Would be fun to play around a bit though. Just not to sure what time I will have to do it.

Quote from: Ronald on Sep 25, 2022, 05:58 PMcould just the members be brought over with there passwords.
That's very possible. it would need to be studied though before it was done.

Ronald

Quote from: Bigguy on Sep 25, 2022, 06:47 PMI haven't done that in awhile. Would be fun to play around a bit though. Just not to sure what time I will have to do it.
That's very possible. it would need to be studied though before it was done.

OK give it some thought.

Bigguy

Certainly. I will check out some posts and such on other sites and see what problems, if any, people had.

Skhilled

I'd make a test site to try it on first to find any potential problems first. ;)

Ronald

Quote from: Skhilled on Sep 26, 2022, 11:33 AMI'd make a test site to try it on first to find any potential problems first. ;)

Is there a good tutorial explaining how to do this?

Skhilled

Well, there was one on my site...until I screwed it up! LMAO I was in a rush and forgot to uninstall my mods and themes first. :P

Basically, you should uninstall your mods and then your themes because most may not work with the upgraded version. Switch to the default theme and then backup your db and files.

Create a new db on the server and import your db backup to it and create a directory and upload your files to it. Upload upload repair_settings.php and run it. Make sure everything works as expected.

Then upgrade your smf as usual until you get the version you want. Reinstall your themes, if they will work with the new version. Reinstall your mods, if they will work with the new version.

Ronald

Dougie from SMF Support is going to convert phpbb 3.3 over to to SMF 2.0.1.9 for me.

Then I'll do the upgrade to SMF 2.1.2

I don't think you can convert directly to 2.1.2 yet.

Skhilled

Cool and no, you can do it directly, unfortunately.

Bigguy

Glad to hear it's getting done for you. :rgton