May 19, 2019, 07:00 am

News:

Keep an eye on your notifications page. It can get huge.

Open

Started by Bigguy, Mar 02, 2019, 10:32 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigguy

Well, I think it is time the site opened. So registration has been changed to email activation. All are welcome to come in and join the community. This site is a community based SMF help site. Which means it is members helping members in a positive way in a relaxed environment. If we can help you out we will gladly do it. Hope to see you on the boards. :rgton

Ronald

Congratulations on the opening.. :rgton  :hdan

Bigguy

Thank you. I'm glad it's open for sure. I was going to make an announcement on SMF but figured that can wait a bit til we are busier....if that happens.

lurkalot

Congrats on the reopening. :rgton

lesmond

About bloody time ;)

Bigguy

Thanks guys. Lets hope it's better than the last one. :hdan

live627

Bigguy

Quote from: Bigguy on Mar 02, 2019, 11:19 amLets hope it's better than the last one
And the last one was pretty good if I do say so myself. ;)

Ronald

Quote from: Bigguy on Mar 02, 2019, 12:17 pmAnd the last one was pretty good if I do say so myself. ;)

The last one was great, never figured why you closed it down..

Bigguy

I'm not to sure either. It was awhile ago. Can't remember now.

lesmond

Did you backup the database?

Bigguy

If I had it around here I have not found it yet. I worry it was on a hard drive that stopped working not to long ago. I may have another look but I am not even sure what version of SMF it was running at the time.

lesmond

Bigguy

Lol, it does to, lol. Very cool. Still it was back in 2016....let me dig around a bit. I doubt I still have it on a working drive.

Bigguy

Oooohhh, I think I found a database that is 22 mb from 2015. That's like a long time ago. Nothing more recent yet. I am surprised I had that, lol.

lesmond

Can databases be merged? so you can keep some of the old posts?

Bigguy

No, I don't think so. There have been a lot of changes, plus post id's would conflict I would think. You would most likely have to try to upload the database and a new version of SMF 2.1 and run the upgrade.php I would think.

lesmond

Worth a shot, maybe on a test site?

Bigguy

Found a database from 2016 now. I don't know....I think I may let it be for now. That would be a ton of work I think.

LandyVlad

Yeah fresh start I reckon.
Though maybe you could install it on a test 2.0.x site and just c&p any stuff that might be especially good.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

Bigguy

Well, who knows what'll happen. :)

live627

Some quick Googling brought this up https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=513684.0 a merge script for 2.0.x.

I had no idea that this existed. Needless to say, I haven't tried it.

Bigguy

I think I remember something about it but I didn't know it was still around.

Ronald

Quote from: Bigguy on Mar 02, 2019, 02:17 pmOooohhh, I think I found a database that is 22 mb from 2015. That's like a long time ago. Nothing more recent yet. I am surprised I had that, lol.

At least 2015 maybe a year or two earlier..

Bigguy

I found one from 2016

Skhilled

Quote from: live627 on Mar 02, 2019, 11:33 pmSome quick Googling brought this up https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=513684.0 a merge script for 2.0.x.

I had no idea that this existed. Needless to say, I haven't tried it.
LOL, I remember playing with that mod. Back then, there was another mod for merging two forums I think was more popular but I forget the name of it. However, I'm pretty sure that you can use queries to add them somehow but I'm not experienced enough to do it.

Bigguy

I may just leave the original SMFH how it is and use it for reference. Seems it may be real tricky to do this.

LandyVlad

why would that be tricky.

Just have it on a subdomain or something. Set it up so nobody can register and so nobody has any permissions to do anything other than view (obviously that'll need to include guests)

Bigguy

I get nervous playin around with databases, always have. I guess that's why I think it'll be tricky.

LandyVlad

No I misread your post. All good.