Oct 22, 2020, 11:25 PM

News:

Have you backed up YOUR database today


Github - progress on SMF 2.1 RC3?

Started by LandyVlad, May 02, 2019, 02:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

LandyVlad

I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

LandyVlad

any update on RC3 progress? (now that 2.0.16 and 2.0.17 are done)
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

LandyVlad

I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

Skhilled

Getting closer and closer but I'm not holding my breath. As long as we get a better product then it will be worth the wait.

Bigguy

Lookin good so far. We are using the newest version to date. ;)

LandyVlad

I gather RC3 is sitting at 99% pending just GDPR before it's released?


Given the time it's been taking I am seriously considering transferring my gsx1400owners.org forum across to RC3 when it's ready.

Bad idea?
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

Skhilled

Quote from: LandyVlad on May 01, 2020, 04:30 AMGiven the time it's been taking I am seriously considering transferring my gsx1400owners.org forum across to RC3 when it's ready.

Bad idea?

Well, that would depend on what does or doesn't work when it's released and if you can live without what doesn't work or they may have decided to remove. I suggest either waiting to see what others report about it OR create a test site first and try it out before upgrading. In this way, you won't have too many surprises and then may wish to revert back to your current version...which could be a headache, if possible.

Ronald

Seems when they release new one, there are plenty of boo boo's.

I have been seriously thinking of getting another IPB board.. IPB has really advanced forward. The mod.'s are as simple as can be to install, even easier than SMF. IPB has Applications, you just open the box select the application and click install, in less than 30 seconds it's in. Now the Plugins are just as easy, open the box select the .tar file and click install, again less than 30 seconds and it's in.

Now if there is an update even if it the IPB software, it is highlighted that an update is available, on the right side it'll say install new version, select the new version and it installs itself.

The iBProArcade is the same way, just open the file location upload it and it installs itself.

I have been with SMF like a lot of you have for many, many years, and it's always the same, when is the new version coming out, when it's ready. I no longer go on support for answers, nothing but smart ass remarks when I ask, so I quit going there. They have two long standing members on support, that seem to think they are god's, with there smart snide remarks.. How many years have we been waiting for the newer version to come out, 10 or more.

Skhilled

Quote from: Ronald on May 01, 2020, 11:57 PMSeems when they release new one, there are plenty of boo boo's.

Well, in their defense, alphas, betas, and release candidates are not final/gold versions and will always have bugs. This is for all software. That being said, SMF is behind the times in so many ways and now they are removing features so they have less support? I'd only remove features if they can't get it to work, don't work, or is just outdated. To me that's a poor reason to remove features that your user base likes.

IMO, they are going backwards. However, covid-19 may also have a hand in why things are moving slowly. 2.1 does seem like a step forward but much of a step.

Quote from: Ronald on May 01, 2020, 11:57 PMI have been with SMF like a lot of you have for many, many years, and it's always the same, when is the new version coming out, when it's ready. I no longer go on support for answers, nothing but smart ass remarks when I ask, so I quit going there. They have two long standing members on support, that seem to think they are god's, with there smart snide remarks.. How many years have we been waiting for the newer version to come out, 10 or more.

I'm starting to think they do that so they won't have to do as much support. LOL The problem with that is less users and less Charter Members. I've been thinking about moving on for quite awhile now. The only reasons I stay is to help with the arcade, help Ken, and to keep Crip Zone going.

I do like myBB and have ported one of his themes over to it. it's actually easier. I may also try to make a WordPress theme out of one of his themes when I get the time.

Ronald

Quote from: Skhilled on May 02, 2020, 09:57 AMWell, in their defense, alphas, betas, and release candidates are not final/gold versions and will always have bugs. This is for all software. That being said, SMF is behind the times in so many ways and now they are removing features so they have less support? I'd only remove features if they can't get it to work, don't work, or is just outdated. To me that's a poor reason to remove features that your user base likes.

IMO, they are going backwards. However, covid-19 may also have a hand in why things are moving slowly. 2.1 does seem like a step forward but much of a step.

I'm starting to think they do that so they won't have to do as much support. LOL The problem with that is less users and less Charter Members. I've been thinking about moving on for quite awhile now. The only reasons I stay is to help with the arcade, help Ken, and to keep Crip Zone going.

I do like myBB and have ported one of his themes over to it. it's actually easier. I may also try to make a WordPress theme out of one of his themes when I get the time.

myBB is a excellent software, and again it is free and volunteers who do the work..SMF is also free and volunteers doing the same work, yet why is mybb so much further advanced than SMF.

Smf has to me a lot of bickering people working in the background, who seem to not be able to get along with each other..

Skhilled

myBB is great software. My only problem with it is you can't download a css file and edit it. They are all in the database! You can only edit them from within the admin and it does not have a search feature nor a " to go" line feature which makes it counter intuitive. Otherwise, I love it and have played with it off and on for many years.

LandyVlad

so myBB or IPB for the win?


As for RC3 yeah that's what I plan a test version on RC3 and definitely will see what reports are from early adopters.


Out of interest what's the % completion listed for 2.1 final ?
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

lurkalot


Ronald

Quote from: LandyVlad on May 05, 2020, 12:47 AMso myBB or IPB for the win?


As for RC3 yeah that's what I plan a test version on RC3 and definitely will see what reports are from early adopters.


Out of interest what's the % completion listed for 2.1 final ?
Quote from: LandyVlad on May 05, 2020, 12:47 AMOut of interest what's the % completion listed for 2.1 final ?

Guessing maybe another year or so..

lesmond


The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe