Dec 14, 2019, 10:12 AM

News:

How many easter eggs have you found....

QUICK NEWS

{NEW} - A new tutorial for Github is ready for your veiwing in the articles section.

{OLD} -New boards have been introduced. Stop on in and check it out.

Video of the week

Internal Links

SMF Sites

Quick Info

Update

Started by Bigguy, May 23, 2019, 03:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldiesmann

Quote from: LandyVlad on Jun 12, 2019, 02:44 AMWhich is why I don't, because I don't understand all that GitHub stuff.

But yes the alerts thing is annoying so hopefully it's resolved.

How about a tutorial of how to download the latest "nightly" from github and the full install process. Would be a good resource not only for me but for the whole site here.

There are no nightly builds for 2.1 - the build you download contains all the changes that have been merged in.

Git/GitHub are somewhat complicated but there are plenty of guides out there to explain everything. There's a good one here that explains things pretty well without getting overly complicated.

To download the latest build, go to https://github.com/SimpleMachines/SMF2.1. Click the big green "Clone or Download" button, then click "DOWNLOAD ZIP".

After that, extract all the files and upload everything except the "other" folder.
Next, go into "other". Upload Settings.php, db_last_error.php and the "install" files to the same place as your other SMF files.
Finally, install SMF like usual. Note that you might have to make a copy of Settings.php named "Settings_bak.php" as well (I haven't installed from a Git installation in a while so I don't remember).

If you want to upgrade an installation using files from GitHub, just download the archive, extract the files and upload them like usual. In most cases you won't need to run upgrade.php, but doing so won't hurt anything either - to do that just upload the "upgrade" files from the "other" folder to your SMF directory and run upgrade.php like usual.
Cincy Space - now open! https://www.cincyspace.net

lurkalot

Quote from: Oldiesmann on Jun 13, 2019, 11:32 PMThere are no nightly builds for 2.1 - the build you download contains all the changes that have been merged in.

I tend to just use the nightly from here. https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=558451.msg3958589#msg3958589

Skhilled

The alerts have been buggy from the start. LOL

lurkalot

Think it's a case of fix one thing break another.  They'll get there eventually I'm sure.  Meanwhile I'll just ignore the alerts sys except for testing.

Bigguy

Every page load gets an error. It sorta sucks but ignoring it is all that can be done for now. :(

Bigguy

Please, check your alerts page. I had none when I got on the site this morning than all of a sudden I had 508....50 pages. I think it was the cause of my browser locking up.

lurkalot

Quote from: Bigguy on Jun 17, 2019, 09:12 AMPlease, check your alerts page. I had none when I got on the site this morning than all of a sudden I had 508....50 pages. I think it was the cause of my browser locking up.

None for me. ;)

Bigguy

I changed cache settings and cleared it and am hoping that helps.

lurkalot

Quote from: Bigguy on Jun 17, 2019, 01:24 PMI changed cache settings and cleared it and am hoping that helps.

I didn't get an alert for your reply here either.  :ques

Bigguy

That's weird cause I have about 4 pages of'm again.

lurkalot

Well it gets worse.  If I look at my alerts via the "All alerts" tab at the top of the page, I have 56 ages of them, several from today, but I'm not seeing any alerts from you for this topic.  Also the alert tab at the top isn't showing I have any alerts.

SychO

Yes the current error causes old alerts to keep resending so expect a ton of em, lol

Bigguy

Quote from: SychO on Jun 17, 2019, 03:22 PMYes the current error causes old alerts to keep resending so expect a ton of em, lol
I think I am over a ton by now, lol.

lesmond

I've not had any alerts for over a month, you must have all mine BG lol

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe

lurkalot

Quote from: lesmond on Jun 17, 2019, 05:04 PMI've not had any alerts for over a month, you must have all mine BG lol

I thought that Les, until I clicked the alerts tab at the top, then clicked "All Alerts" They were all hiding in there. ;)