Aug 09, 2020, 01:31 AM

News:

Have you backed up YOUR database today

UK Mobility Motors

Started by lesmond, May 23, 2019, 06:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lesmond

May 23, 2019, 06:09 PM Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 03:13 AM by lesmond
New forum I started for people with mobility issues, here in the UK we can give up our payment  we get towards getting around, and have a new car every 3 years.

There is only one forum dedicated to the people that get this benefit that I could find, and that is a one board forum, so hard to find anything of use really.

So I thought I would make one with SMF and Tinyportal.

I have installed one other mod "Feed Poster Configuration" which seems to be working ok.

Anyway here it is https://mobility.uk-motors.co.uk/index.php

Let me know what you think.

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe

LandyVlad

Not sure on font choice for front page.. seems very old fashioned.

Great idea for a site though - I hope its a cussess. Great resource.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

lurkalot

Great idea Les, I'm sure it will be handy and informative.

There does seem to be a problem with the forum index page though, there's a massive empty white space before the board categories, especially in Firefox with it being much bigger.  Not sure what you have in there, an ad perhaps?

In response to what @LandyVlad was saying, I think it would be an idea to lose the side panels on the front page, and use those blocks in the forum itself.  Use the front page as an intro, and to provide basic info.

lesmond

Quote from: lurkalot on May 26, 2019, 06:28 AMNot sure what you have in there, an ad perhaps?

Supposed to be ads, but not showing for some reason.

Quote from: lurkalot on May 26, 2019, 06:28 AMUse the front page as an intro, and to provide basic info.

Good Idea, done

lurkalot

Thought it might be an ad playing up..  Well apart from that ad not working the site looks so much better already, front page is much cleaner looking.  :rgton

LandyVlad

Yeah that's heaps better.

Dunno if its a fault but in this page I can't see the images:
https://mobility.uk-motors.co.uk/index.php?topic=26.0

I'm at work at the moment so can't be sure, as sometimes out firewall blocks some images, or perhaps you have images blocked for guests, or perhaps it's somethign else.

Maybe others can double check that for you.   :)

I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

lesmond

Quote from: LandyVlad on May 26, 2019, 09:10 PMDunno if its a fault but in this page I can't see the images:
Thats because I am using a feed poster, which post rss feeds from various sites, I have no control over the images unfortunately.

lurkalot

Quote from: lesmond on May 27, 2019, 05:16 AMThats because I am using a feed poster, which post rss feeds from various sites, I have no control over the images unfortunately.

Les, not wanting to teach you how to suck eggs, but be really careful using the RSS feed poster, copyrighted material and all that.  I got told off yesterday and a request made to remove someone's content from one of my sites, and I was using this mod.  Only had it running for one day. lol..

lesmond

Quote from: lurkalot on May 27, 2019, 05:30 AMLes, not wanting to teach you how to suck eggs, but be really careful using the RSS feed poster, copyrighted material and all that.  I got told off yesterday and a request made to remove someone's content from one of my sites, and I was using this mod.  Only had it running for one day. lol..

Oh right! thanks for the warning Mick :emb  :rgton

lurkalot

It's a shame, because it's a great way of making content for the site, and making it look active.  But in reality it's no different from one of us going to someone's website, copying the content and pasting it into our own forum. I can see why they got the hump over it.  To be fair the guy was very polite and understanding, after I apologised and explained to him it was unintentional, and was trying out a RSS mod which should have just added a Title and link. 

The Feedposter does have a option to just use the Description and add a link to said article, but all that will achieve is to direct people away from your site.  Plus it depends how each RSS is compiled as to what it displays.  I'm coming to the conclusion this mod is a waste of time, and could get me into a lot of trouble.  On another note, I don't think Google will like this either because of duplicate content.

I'd advise anyone to use with extreme caution. ;)