Nov 21, 2019, 12:56 AM

News:

Have you backed up YOUR database today


QUICK NEWS

{NEW} - A new tutorial for Github is ready for your veiwing in the articles section.

{OLD} -New boards have been introduced. Stop on in and check it out.

Video of the week


Internal Links

SMF Sites

Quick Info

Minor login issue

Started by nidec, Oct 24, 2019, 03:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

nidec

Oct 24, 2019, 03:57 PM Last Edit: Oct 29, 2019, 06:34 PM by Bigguy
The last couple of weeks my site needs 2 attempts every time to login.
No idea why, but first attempt is always refused.
I don't have many members,  but this cant be helping.

Bigguy

Try changing the name of your cookie.

nidec

Not sure what that means,  let alone how to do it

Bigguy

In the admin panel under Maintenance---> Server Settings ---> Cookies and Sessions. You can change the name of the cookie your site gives to people. The one here is called smf helper I think.

lesmond

Admin>server settings>Cookies and Sessions

Dont forget to clear cookies and cache from your browser..


The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe

lesmond

Quote from: Bigguy on Oct 25, 2019, 02:14 PMIn the admin panel under Maintenance---> Server Settings ---> Cookies and Sessions.

Thats for SMF 2.1 he is using 2.0.15

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe

Bigguy

Than this should be moved. Thanks for that. :)

nidec

Thanks guys  :rgton
Ive also forced cookies to be secure (I use https), is that okay?

Bigguy

Yup, sounds good. :)

nidec

Problem is back again. Am I going to have to do this every morning?

lesmond

Quote from: nidec on Oct 27, 2019, 04:22 AMProblem is back again. Am I going to have to do this every morning?
Is it only happening to you, or have other members reported it?

Try from from a different device

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe

Skhilled

Oct 27, 2019, 07:44 AM #11 Last Edit: Oct 27, 2019, 07:48 AM by Skhilled
@nidec, try this for any themes you are having a problem with:

Open the index.template.php for your theme, find this:

<input type="hidden" name="hash_passwrd" value="" />
And replace it with this, if it's not already there:

<input type="hidden" name="', $context['session_var'], '" value="', $context['session_id'], '" />

lurkalot

Quote from: Skhilled on Oct 27, 2019, 07:44 AM@nidec, try this for any themes you are having a problem with:

Open the index.template.php for your theme, find this:

<input type="hidden" name="hash_passwrd" value="" />
And replace it with this, if it's not already there:

<input type="hidden" name="', $context['session_var'], '" value="', $context['session_id'], '" />

Steve, as far as I'm aware the suggestion of adding the session check was already suggested to Nidec over at SMF.  That was for the login session error nidec was having.

I'm thinking the login twice thing is a different issue, because surely if the session check was missing from the theme then it wouldn't login after the second attempt.

nidec

Quote from: lurkalot on Oct 27, 2019, 08:44 AMSteve, as far as I'm aware the suggestion of adding the session check was already suggested to Nidec over at SMF.  That was for the login session error nidec was having.

I'm thinking the login twice thing is a different issue, because surely if the session check was missing from the theme then it wouldn't login after the second attempt.
That's correct. I've already done the suggested fix, this is a different issue.  Ive renamed the cookie and cleared cache. Tried it on mobile,  laptop, desktop, and on different browsers.  Same results each time

lurkalot

Quote from: nidec on Oct 27, 2019, 09:40 AMThat's correct. I've already done the suggested fix, this is a different issue.  Ive renamed the cookie and cleared cache. Tried it on mobile,  laptop, desktop, and on different browsers.  Same results each time

Something htaccess file related perhaps. I'm no expert on this, but I have a suspicion. 

Are you forcing https via htaccess, or by some other means?